TITLE: Vice President for Development Reviewed: 12/2016
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Oversees the planning, implementation, and management of the annual, capital, endowment and planned giving campaigns of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association (CSOA), as well as volunteer programs, patron tour projects and development information systems. Serves as a member of the senior management team of the CSOA and represents the Association in a variety of settings locally, nationally and internationally.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and executes robust, unified, coordinated fundraising plans and campaigns that meet all short and long-term fundraising goals.
- Maintains a personal portfolio of leadership donors and prospects.
- Works closely with CSOA President and Board of Trustees leadership, particularly the Board Chair and Chair of the Development Committee and other fundraising leadership.
- Works closely with the Nominating and Governance and Development committees of the Negaunee Music Institute (the CSOA’s education department).
- Works collaboratively with all CSOA department heads to establish and achieve the goals of the Association.
- Supervises and motivates the Development Department team to achieve success.
- Serves as primary staff liaison to the Nominating and Governance Committee of the Board, identifying and qualifying prospects for future board membership and ensuring requirements of Board bylaws are met.
- Establishes campaign reporting and analysis conventions, including acknowledgment procedures, and oversees the implementation of best-in-class programs for donor stewardship and recognition.
- Works to expand the base of volunteers through leadership succession and recruiting.
- Leads the preparation and management of the Development Department budget.
- Works closely with the VP for Finance and Finance team in reporting of philanthropic revenue for annual audit and leads the quarterly review of outstanding pledge receivables.
- Attends and participates in meetings of the Executive, Development, Finance, Nominating and Governance Committees as well as the Negaunee Music Institute as required.
- Reports to President of the CSOA.
- Supervises the Directors of Development/Individual Gifts, Corporate Development, Foundation & Government Relations, Annual Giving & Development Operations, Donor Engagement and Leadership Gifts.
- Other important relationships are held with the Association’s Trustees, Life Trustees, Music Director, musicians, donors, sponsors, volunteers and prospects.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- At least 10 years of experience in leading major fundraising campaigns, with a proven track record of success.
- At least 7 years of experience managing a fundraising department in a major not-for-profit organization.
- Ability to motivate a team comprised of employees and volunteers.
- Significant experience in supervising, managing and/or working with volunteer organizations.
- Awareness of philanthropic and industry issues and trends.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- A love for the arts and appreciation of classical music.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
Pleasant office environment.