Description: The Barnes Foundation is seeking a Grants Manager. The Manager oversees the identification, application and reporting process for prospects and existing grantors of unrestricted and restricted foundation and government giving to the Barnes Foundation. Working from an approved set of institutional priorities and gift opportunities, with the Director of Institutional Giving, this position tracks programmatic development in assigned areas and matches appropriate funding sources to those initiatives.
The Manager is responsible for timely research and writing for the production and submission of successful proposals to meet annual financial goals for contributed revenue and endowment. Additionally, the Manager is responsible for stewardship of foundation relationships and the production and timely submission of required reporting on grants received by the Barnes Foundation.
This position is responsible for timely research and writing for the production and submission of successful proposals to meet annual financial goals for contributed revenue and endowment. Additionally, the Manager is responsible for stewardship of foundation relationships and the production and timely submission of required reporting on grants received by the Barnes Foundation.
Established as an educational institution the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes.
Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more. The 12-acre Arboretum contains over 3,000 species of woody plants and trees.
The Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and related high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
- With the Director of Institutional Giving, develops a comprehensive calendar of priority institutional initiatives and funding opportunities to ensure a steady funding stream from private and corporate foundations as well as government agencies to support all programmatic priorities at the Barnes Foundation.
- Assumes primary responsibility for securing funding to support initiatives at the Philadelphia and Merion campuses by program areas as assigned.
- Researches and writes a broad range of documents, including proposals, narrative reports, evaluations, and correspondence.
- Researches, identifies and establishes new foundation and government funding streams for Barnes projects. Presents funding sources to Director of Institutional Giving. Participates in prioritizing and planning for new funding opportunities.
- Creates production timeline for each proposal that includes appropriate time for inter-departmental participation, review, and approval process.
- Maintains calendar of all reporting and ensures that all donor reporting requirements are met.
- Interviews program staff, including curators, conservation staff, publications staff and administrators to understand and stay current on proposed projects and funding opportunities. Responsible for ongoing communication with colleagues in the program departments and for sharing information with the Director about program planning.
- Organizes and participates in inter-departmental working groups to plan, coordinate, and produce proposals.
- Produces stewardship correspondence and represents stewardship needs and opportunities in Advancement planning.
- Consistently exhibits an excellent command of the English language with superior writing and editing skills.
- Uses Raisers Edge efficiently and in compliance with established procedures (training provided by Development Services).
- Assists in Foundation events and site visits. Coordinates all aspects of stewardship to ensure ongoing commitment to the Barnes by external funders.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Assists in budget planning for relevant areas of Institutional Giving.
- Works closely with the finance department to request and secure all financial and other data necessary to a successful proposal submission and successful reporting on grants received.
Please apply online:
Please include your cover letter, a list of three professional references and a resume with your application. Applications that fail to fulfill this requirement will not be accepted.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace. Employees have rights under other laws including, but not limited to, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act.
We participate in E-Verify.