The Accounting Specialist/Bursar assists the Comptroller and all departments by conducting all financial transactions, posting information to accounting journals or accounting software from all sources, creating financial reports from that information, keeping all financial records, and reconciling all accounts to ensure their accuracy. As Bursar, this position oversees the student financial services, billing and receivables, and the cashiering functions of the seminary.
- Ensure compliance with seminary, state, and federal (ATS, HLC, ECFA, IPEDS, IRS, General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), NACUBO/FASB) standards, regulations and procedures.
- Post interdepartmental journal entries and import edits as needed.
- Recommend and participate in the development of seminary financial policies and procedures.
- Assist the Comptroller in assembling all pertinent information for external auditors for the annual audit.
- Assist the Comptroller in the development of reports for management or regulatory bodies.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system and update the seminary chart of accounts.
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the seminary budget.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by Comptroller.
- Record all gifts and payments to the seminary, prepare and make bank deposits.
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of every bank account.
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy
- Maintain the petty cash fund.
- Reconcile seminary assets, banking, and merchant services accounts in accordance applicable GAAP standards.
- Ensure that all receivables are collected and recorded promptly.
- Provide donor statements and receipts as requested.
- Record and code all unrestricted and restricted donations properly.
- Manage all active pledge donations, sending timely pledge reminders in collaboration with the Advancement Director.
- Maintain the seminary’s donor database and ensure that all donor records are current.
- Supply the Advancement Team with donor-related reports when requested.
- Oversee all student financial services – billing and receivables, and the cashiering functions of the seminary.
- Manage all receivables and recordkeeping for the Title IV direct lending and VA programs.
- Manage, match and record all PO’s and ER’s, with invoices.
- Code all invoices with the proper general ledger information and obtain approval for payment.
- Run all checks for payables upon approval of the Comptroller.
- Manage, reconcile, and pay all invoices for the seminary credit card accounts upon approval of the Comptroller.
- Assist the Comptroller in reconciling general ledger accounts.
- Provide Comptroller with a trial balance at the end of each month.
- Make adjustments as requested by the Comptroller.
- Monitor all office supply levels and reorder as necessary.
- Purchase supplies and equipment as authorized.
- Tag and monitor fixed assets.
- Prepare and ensure timely preparation and distribution of all tax forms not handled by the payroll management system.
- Secure, record, and file W-9S from all vendors.
- Print and mail yearly donation statements to all donors.
- Tag and monitor fixed assets.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements.
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements in compliance with official guidelines and requirements.
- Calculate and issue financial analysis of the financial statements to the Comptroller.