The Specialty Advertising Association of Greater New York (SAAGNY) is the largest and oldest of the 26 independent regional associations in the United States representing the manufacturers, decorators, resellers and representatives in the promotional products industry. Based in Westchester County, NY, our geographic marketplace is the northern half of New Jersey, southwest Connecticut and all of New York State. Our 600+ member companies fall into four membership categories and the association’s primary objectives are to provide networking opportunities and forums for the free exchange of product and sales information as well as general relevant educational seminars for those employed within this $21 billion industry.
Under the direction of the President, the Executive Director serves as the primary contact and daily administrator for the association in accordance with the adopted Mission and Vision Statements and current By-laws and Policies and Procedures of the organization.
The Executive Director ensures that programs, activities and services of the association are communicated and administered on a consistent basis to members and prospective members in support of the ongoing viability of the association.
Primary Job Functions:
- Supervises SAAGNY employees and contractors, ensuring adherence to the approved Employee Manual and Handbook; compliance with local, state and federal employment laws; utilizing best practices to gain maximum productivity.
- Manages the association’s finances, including preparation of annual budget, monthly bank reconciliations, monthly income and expense reports, annual filings, etc.
- Manages membership recruitment and renewal campaigns, including distribution of dues notices, collection of applications, dues and record keeping.
- Assists with the development of board meeting agendas, prepares agendas and related materials for the board meetings and takes minutes of board meetings.
- Ensures adherence by all stakeholders to association by-laws, policies and procedures.
- Publishes or supervises publication of bi-monthly electronic newsletter.
- Serves as show manager for three table top trade shows, including selection of and contract negotiation for venues and educational speakers; sales of tables and sponsorships; development of event floor plans and assigning of exhibitor tables within the floor plan; advance and on-site registration of attendees; food, beverage and hotel arrangements; show marketing themes and timelines; other tasks as required for the effective execution of these events.
- Serves as staff representative for the Expo East Show Committee, including attending and participating in all committee meetings and teleconferences and attending the Expo East annual trade show.
- Supervises all association events and activities, including the development of the annual calendar; selection of venues and contract negotiation for events; marketing themes and timelines for events; advance and on-site registration of attendees; other tasks as required for the effective execution of these events.
- With staff, the Board of Directors and appropriate volunteers, evaluates each event for improvement, enhancement or termination of the events moving forward.
- Ensures the SAAGNY website and databases are current and updated as needed.
Secondary Job Functions:
- Posts relevant content to social media channels
- Communicates with PPAI, other regional associations and other industry providers as appropriate
- Maintains association archives
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Customer service attitude
- Understanding of the promotional products industry
Key Performance Metrics:
- Membership growth
- Trade show sales
- Trade show attendance
- Newsletter advertising and event sponsorship sales
- Successful execution of scheduled events
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Proficient with email, explorer and other programs
- Familiar with social media outlets, strategies and posting
- Meeting planning and marketing skills
- Good math skills a plus
- Desktop publishing and writing skills a plus
SAAGNY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SAAGNY complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
SAAGNY expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of SAAGNY’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.