Job Title: Assistant Vice President, Communications
Department: Communications Date Revised: 5 January 2017
Purpose: The Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) is the voice of American aerospace and defense. This position supports all aspects of AIA’s mission to advocate for policies and responsible budgets that keep our country strong, bolster our capacity to innovate, and spur our economic growth, and to promote our industry to external and internal audiences.
Nature and Scope of Work: This position (AVP) reports directly to the Vice President of Communications and serves as the acting Vice President in his absence. The AVP directs the work of numerous contract personnel performing communications programs and campaigns, graphic design, publication production and other program services. The leader must be able to excel in a fast-paced environment and work closely with AIA’s Communications team, AIA staff and AIA’s Communications Council.
The AVP drives communications strategies and branding to support the association’s enduring goals and priorities, through both traditional paid and earned media and social media platforms. The AVP provides communications expertise to the Vice President and other staff to accomplish the communications objectives as an integrated part of the association’s priorities.
This position provides input and direction in the development of communications materials including news releases, statements, op-eds, letters to the editor and other materials. Develops and manages the production of all AIA publications, both internal and external. Works closely with staff to fully develop the website as a communications portal and strategic platform for AIA. Plans, implements and evaluates web policy, content and operations. This requires an increasing knowledge of developing technologies, practices, and close coordination of objectives with divisions within the association.
The AVP must be able to serve as a media spokesperson for the association, utilizing an established network of public affairs and broadcast contacts across the aerospace and defense industry, Congress and the administration. Works with other associations to identify common issues that are appropriate for concerted actions. Keeps informed of the most current industry developments through contacts with industry and government officials and openly available materials. Also, maintains broad knowledge of contract services to enhance the communications program including digital outreach, social media trends, traditional media and printing services. Additionally, maintains and eagerly pursues new developments in communication production, website development and online communications.
- Understand intent from the senior leadership, Executive Committee, Communications Council and adjacent divisions and integrate that intent into the way the communication team implements its efforts
- Multi-program and tasking capability that reinforces the Communications Division’s objectives
- Established experience with broadcast connections; optimally from aerospace and defense
- Familiarity with our member companies and the aerospace and defense journalistic community
- Lead AIA’s Civil Division in Communications integration
- Provide candid feedback that accurately reflects the needs of AIA and the growth of team members
Program Manager Role:
- Oversight over the Executive Report, AIA’s quarterly journal
- Oversight for the AIA Aerospace and Defense Annual Media Luncheon and Lyman Award, AIA’s communication or journalistic annual award
- Executive Secretary for the AIA Communications Council
- Oversight for social media and digital media outreach