NEW YORK CARES BACKGROUND
By developing programs that respond to pressing community needs, New York Cares—New York City’s largest volunteer network in the city—provides a lifeline of support to our city’s most vulnerable residents. Last year, we mobilized more than 64,000 individual volunteers and hundreds of companies, civic and youth groups to help improve the lives of over 400,000 struggling New Yorkers. Our volunteers donate their time and talents at 1,300 nonprofits and schools across the five boroughs to improve education, meet immediate needs such as hunger and homelessness, and revitalize public spaces.
New York Cares prides itself on a culture of excellence, defined by integrity, reliability and professionalism. We have been awarded The New York Times Nonprofit Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding management practices, and the Peter F. Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation. The NonProfit Times, Crain’s New York, The Princeton Review and The Wall Street Journal have all recognized New York Cares as a top-notch employer.
We seek an experienced, creative and dynamic development professional to build and implement a strategic and comprehensive individual and special events fundraising program and manage a high performing team of fundraisers.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Development and Communications, the Director of Individual Giving & Special Events manages three full-time staff and various office interns and volunteers to achieve revenue goals of $3.2 million.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Designing and executing a strategic fundraising plan in conjunction with the Senior Director, Development and Communications and with the Board of Directors Development Committee;
- Reviewing/analyzing the fundraising potential of existing initiatives and developing new programs to meet the organization’s strategic objectives/vision;
- Cultivating existing relationships with individual donors, developing sponsorship opportunities to recruit new major donors and special events supporters, and overseeing ongoing prospect research to identify and grow the donor base/increase revenue;
- Overseeing all special events including a winter benefit (in coordination with an external event firm and the Board Development Committee), a soiree (in coordination with the Junior Committee), happy hours, two serve-a-thons, a growing number of hosted events, and a series of donor recognition and cultivation events;
- Directing all aspects of the fundraising process, including: developing/editing a wide array of written material; planning donor engagement projects; managing diverse vendor relationships and, collaborating with Program Staff to maximize current programmatic funding opportunities and develop new initiatives;
- Collaborating closely with the Communications team in the development of stakeholder mapping for current and potential donors and in the execution of a strategic communications plan for donor stewardship:
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the team. Assessing internal processes for optimal functionality and reworking them when appropriate;
- Actively managing the professional development of these individuals reporting to this person to grow their skill bases and retain them over time;
- Preparing annual revenue projections and tracking/analyzing ongoing actuals to goals; developing and managing multiple budgets; and, working with internal departments to prepare monthly financials and time-based analysis;
- Ensuring appropriate recognition and timely acknowledgment of donors, working with Senior Staff to coordinate strategic, personalized outreach;
- Staying current with evolving fundraising technologies, and anticipating and responding to philanthropic trends; and,
- Other duties, as assigned.