The River Food Pantry operates with a current staff of 11 and volunteer base of 100+ community members. The Executive Director will provide a compelling and credible leadership style that instills passion for the mission, creates a spirit of community, inspires a shared vision of the future, encourages innovation, enables individuals, teams, partnerships, and other alliances to function effectively, and recognizes and values the contributions of others. The Executive Director will lead a new chapter for The River, replacing founders Jenny and Andy Czerkas as The River’s first Executive Director, a transition thoughtfully made to pass The River’s leadership on to someone with a similar heart and the expertise to take the organization into the future. In close collaboration with the Board, the Executive Director will develop organizational vision and leadership, and establish goals, policy and initiatives guided by the implementation of a strategic plan which will serve as a road map for the future. The Executive Director will develop sufficient human and financial resources to ensure organizational growth and stability. As the public face of the River, the Executive Director will maintain and cultivate relationships with various stakeholder groups, including donors, volunteers, corporate partners, and the media to build greater awareness of The River’s valuable impact on so many members of the Madison community.
- Provide servant leadership by putting the needs of others first, and by infusing the desire in people throughout the organization to want to do their very best in service to others.
- Implement a talent management process for all staff which includes effective strategies for determining staffing requirements, recruitment/hiring, compensation, training/development, coaching and evaluating performance and employee retention.
- Provide operational planning leadership to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement action plans and evaluate the process and results.
- Cultivate a robust, professional partnership with the Board of Directors characterized by a deep commitment to the performance of the organization; the highest standards of honesty, trustworthiness, respect and transparency; thoughtful, actionable input on how to effectively translate strategy into action; timely, relevant, reliable and meaningful information reporting; and regular attendance at Board meetings, serving as an active participant.
- Work with the Board in the development and implementation of clear strategic goals and the organization’s vision for the future.
- Oversee the development and implementation of Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all Federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations including employment standards, financial ethics, human rights and occupational health and safety.
- Develop strong relationships with key individual, foundation and corporate funders that foster long-term engagement and investment.
- Ensure there is an annual and long-term development strategy in place that will cultivate, strengthen and diversify funding sources.
- Oversee innovative marketing and outreach strategies using technology, social networks and event based efforts to increase visibility of the organization; ensure the organization and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive and compelling image to the community and relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate the development, writing, and submission of grant proposals to third-party public and private entities.
- Build a strong collaborative foundation with all stakeholders which inspires togetherness and teamwork, encourages the sharing of knowledge, information and resources, fosters consensus building, responds quickly to the need for change, provides an open forum for different viewpoints and perspectives and creates an environment that builds commitment, and promotes consistent progress by celebrating accomplishments.
- Act as the organization’s community spokesperson, presenting the organization’s story as an emotionally compelling, mission-driven organization.
- Oversee financial management and ensure the organization is fiscally sound; develop an annual budget for Board approval and prudently manage the organization's resources within those budget guidelines; ensure appropriate fiscal controls.