Mercy Medical Center is seeking high performing candidates to be considered for the role of Foundation President. Reporting to the Foundation Board of Directors with a dotted line report to the President & CEO, the President of the Mercy Medical Center Foundation is responsible for identifying prospective donors and developing, cultivating and maintaining donor relationships and related programs that provide ongoing financial support for all of Mercy Medical Center’s activities and ensuring it has adequate resources to continue providing exceptional patient care. This individual serves as a member of Mercy’s Executive Team, the Chief Philanthropy Officer, and an advisor to the President & CEO, the Chair of the Foundation Board and the Foundation Board of Directors. Further, the Foundation President provides staff support and guidance to the Foundation Board of Directors.
The Foundation President is responsible for planning, designing and implementing comprehensive philanthropy programs and developing a team focused toward the ultimate goal of significantly increasing constituent engagement and fundraising growth. Leadership of the Foundation includes responsibility for comprehensive planning and execution of annual, major, planned and endowed gift programs, grants, corporate and foundation relations, campaigns, dynamic stewardship, engaged volunteer programs, oversight of the Mercy Auxiliary and effective Foundation operations.
MERCY MEDICAL CENTER AND FOUNDATION LEADERSHIP
- Serve as member of the Executive Team and provide thoughtful and dynamic leadership in partnership with executive colleagues. Fosters a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Lead, direct, and manage all aspects of the philanthropic effort and secure gifts and pledges in support of Foundation goals and the organization’s mission.
- Develop and implement strategic and annual plans in support of Mercy Medical Center priorities and initiatives.
- Cultivate a strong working relationship with the Foundation Board, ensuring transparency, accountability, and open communication in the presentation and measurement of financial and fundraising goals and outcomes.
- Direct all business aspects of the Foundation and collaborate closely with the Medical Center accounting department in the proper transaction and recording of day-to-day business and preparation and presentation of periodic financial statements.
- Faithfully represent the Foundation and Mercy Medical Center by living The Mercy Touch® at all times amongst key constituents including patients, donors, volunteers, staff, executives, physicians, community leaders and professional advisors.
- Maintain knowledge of and commitment to the Cedar Rapids community. Be an inspiring advocate and active participant in the community and with key community organizations.
- Be active and involved in the healthcare philanthropy profession, serve as a model for continued professional growth, and pursue best practice engagement and education for the Foundation team.
- Further Mercy’s culture of patient-centered care and a supportive and inclusive work environment.
- Lead the Foundation team in the development of strategic and annual plans with measurable goals for campaigns, annual giving, major gifts, planned gifts, corporate and foundation relations, stewardship and advancement services.
- Identify, integrate and execute best practice in fundraising, including gift processing, donor recognition, donor activity reporting, prospect research, and prospect strategy functions.
- Ensure dynamic processes in all phases of donor identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Develop a broad coalition of community members who believe in Mercy Medical Center’s mission and purpose enough to donate their time and resources.
- Working with the Chair of the Foundation Board and other Foundation Board leaders, create effective board and board committee agendas and ensure appropriate communication and follow-up.
- Hire, train, motivate, supervise, coach and guide direct reports and the entire Foundation team toward accountable, goal-oriented outcomes.
- Formulate and administer the annual budget for the Foundation and ensure proper management and usage of philanthropic funds.
- Develop, review and revise (as needed) policies and procedures for effective and ethical operation of the Foundation.
- Ensure that the Foundation and its activities adhere to the highest ethical standards and are compliant with all laws, regulations and Mercy and Foundation bylaws, policies and procedures.
- In partnership with Mercy Medical Center’s Marketing Department, devise and implement effective internal and external messaging and methods of advancement communication and solicitation.
- Provide direction and oversight for the Mercy Auxiliary.
ANNUAL GIFTS, MAJOR GIFTS, PLANNED GIFTS AND CAMPAIGNS
- Maintain and grow a dynamic portfolio of high net worth individuals and secure major, capital, and planned gifts, as well as advance annual gifts, endowment support and grants.
- Develop and strengthen successful relationships with donors, prospects and leaders at all levels and across diverse demographic groups.
- Support the President & CEO and other leaders in the cultivation and solicitation of leadership gifts.
- Create a comprehensive strategy for increasing support from corporations and foundations.
- Advance grateful patient initiatives and engage physicians and Board members in the identification and cultivation of grateful patient prospects.
- Support and expand the highly-successful Commitment to Community employee annual giving campaign and other annual giving initiatives and special event programs.
DONOR, EMPLOYEE AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
- Ensure donor, employee and customer satisfaction through the process of monitoring, developing, improving and delivering excellence in service.
- Meet department and organizational employee satisfaction goals
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the technical, legal and regulatory aspects of fundraising.
- Knowledge of best practice philanthropy strategies.
- Strategic planning, organization, ongoing execution and project management in the context of philanthropy.
- Keen organizational, supervisory, team building, and leadership capabilities.
- Critical thinking skills; strategic planning and project management.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively address all levels within the organization as well as be able to present information in an effective manner.
- Negotiating and problem solving at the strategic and functional levels.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills. Uses skills to identify sources of gift support, including individuals, corporations, community organizations and foundations.
- Inclusive, encouraging and engaging interpersonal skills with a polished professional presence.
- Sound analytical and financial skills, proficient use of spreadsheet, graphics and fundraising database management software.
- Commitment to customer service.
- Promotes teamwork, facilitates collaboration.
- Ability to present to and educate the public, community organizations and other professionals with information about and support for the mission of Mercy and the Foundation.
- Ability to apply strategic influence to persuade, engender support or agreement.
- Capacity to create an environment that attracts and retains qualified staff, encourages innovation and recognizes excellence.
- Ability to analyze operations systems and fiscal reports.
- Ability to develop and strengthen relationships with individuals at all levels and across diverse demographic groups.
- Ability to work variable hours in support of Medical Center and Foundation needs.