The mission of Horizons Residential Care Center is to provide, with the utmost dignity and respect, compassionate care and quality services appropriate to the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families.” Horizons provides a “home” for medically fragile children and adults with multiple, severe disabilities.
Horizons provides residential services for 40 individuals with a severe or profound intellectual disability as well as other disabilities such as cerebral palsy, seizure disorders, and blindness. We have two residential facilities. The Atrium, in Rural Hall, serves children and adults. The Arches, located in Winston-Salem, serves 10 adult residents. Our residents have access to twenty-four hour, on-site nursing and a variety of therapy options including speech, physical, and occupational therapy. We also have a nutritionist, psychologist, and speech pathologist available for residents. Horizons is also a licensed school and provides year-round schooling to school-age residents living at the Atrium. Our residents receive quality care as well as a variety of sensory stimulating activities each day. Our clients come from all over North Carolina; however, half of our current residents are from the Cardinal catchment area (counties in and around Winston-Salem). Their ages currently range from eight to 61 years old.
Position - Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The President & CEO will carry out the job in a professional manner, exercising discretion and independent judgment in completing his/her job responsibilities. This position is responsible for the overall operation of Horizons Residential Care Center and functions as the chief administrator of the corporation. This position involves a variety of administrative and supervisory functions and is the designated Budget Officer of the corporation and the Corporate Compliance Officer.
- Leads and manages HRCC in accordance with Board policies, Bylaws, stated mission and values, and the Corporate Charter.
- Develops the organization’s policies and procedures to comply with Federal, State and County regulations governing fiscal operations, programs, certifications, and licensure.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Medicaid delivery service in NC and stays abreast of relevant changes and issues in the DHHS and / or Medicaid policies and programs.
- Ensures that regulatory requirements are reviewed and any needed changes in agency programs, policies, and procedures are made.
- Ensures that plans, policies, and functions between departments are coordinated.
- Designates and assigns responsibilities to department directors for attaining objectives.
- Guides and directs the staff and Board in the development and review of a Strategic Plan which establishes clear goals and plans that guide the program objectives and organizational policies of Horizons.
- Leads the staff and Board in reviewing progress in relationship to the Strategic Plan and brings a report to the Board at least semi-annually.
- Supervises and evaluates the work performance of department directors for compliance with established policies and objectives of the program, provides assistance as needed, and contributes to attaining objectives.
- Recruits and selects all department directors and may be involved in selection of all personnel.
- Serves as liaison between staff and Board of Directors.
- Serves as designated Budget Officer and Corporate Compliance Officer.
- Directs the preparation of the budget, determines the amount of resources required to finance operations and presents budget to Board of Directors for their consideration and approval.
- Solicits public governmental funds to finance the general operations.
- With the Director of Development, solicits funding from corporations, foundations, and individuals.
- With the Finance Director, reviews all financial operational procedures, rules, standards, and regulations governing financial receipts and disbursements.
- With the Finance Director & Finance Committee, facilitates the investment of funds in accordance with directives and guidelines established by the Board of Directors.
- With the Finance Director, prepares and/or reviews for approval various financial reports required by regulatory and other funding agencies.
- With the Human Resources Director develops policies and procedures designed to produce a healthy, positive working environment that contributes to ever-improving levels of employee morale and job performance.
- Establishes effective working relationships with regulatory bodies, funding sources, other service providers, and professional organizations involved with or ancillary to the goals and services of the organization.
- Represents the organization and its views and interprets the programs and policies of the organization to the media, individuals, community groups, and to governmental agencies.
- With the Director of Development, provides and authorizes the preparation and delivery of media material to promote the organization.
- Reviews the recommendations of the interdisciplinary team for admissions and dismissals of residents.
- As needed, reviews the recommendations of the interdisciplinary team for the development of habilitation plans that are considered substantially restrictive prior to presentation to the Human Rights Committee.
- Provides, as needed, direction and consultation in areas of client services.
- Makes final decisions in resolving complaints or concerns about client services. Decisions may be appealed to the Board of Directors.
- Informs, makes recommendations, or advises the Board of Directors in matters regarding its governing body functions, the organization, and/or services provided.
- Demonstrates and uses knowledge of employment policies and practices. Has considerable knowledge of effective supervisory practices and the ability to direct and supervise the work of others
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Has knowledge in the areas of intellectual and developmental disabilities, education, habilitation, and related health and emotional needs of persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships with employees, clients, legal guardians, families, guests, vendors, and the public so as to maintain good will toward Horizons and to project a positive image. Promotes good interpersonal relationships and cooperation among staff, clients, sponsors, volunteers, and the community.
- Performs other duties as necessary and/or assigned.