Location: Boston, MA
Position is available: Immediately
WHO WE ARE
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that’s grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country.
Founded in 2005, ANet now serves over 700 schools educating over 230,000 students in California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Tennessee. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students. ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, including a prestigious Investing In Innovation (i3) grant from the federal government in 2010, New Schools Venture Fund’s “Organization of the Year” in 2011, and The NonProfit Time’s “Best Nonprofits to Work For” in 2015 and 2016.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
The Achievement Network is looking for an analytical thinker with excellent communication skills and a drive for results to be a critical leader on the Finance Team. The Accounting Manager is a new position for the team and will be responsible for leading an Accounting Team to ensure ANet’s financial sustainability. This involves managing the design and implementation of ANet’s financial infrastructure, including accounting, purchasing and budgeting/planning systems. This is an ideal position for an accounting professional with excellent project and people management skills who is energized by leading teams to drive innovation throughout a department. This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will work closely with a five-person team supporting an organizational operating budget of $27 million.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Oversee Accounts Receivable (A/R), Accounts Payable (A/P) and Travel and Expenses (T&E) processes and systems
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close and lead team to maintain financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and fund accounting
- Supervise grant reporting and allocations
- Lead and manage all audit activities
- Manage payroll process, Insperity benefits systems and reconciliation of cash accounts
- Support financial compliance requests including state, benefit and insurance reporting
Strategy & Planning
- Refine accounting policies and procedures and identify areas of process improvement within the department to improve the team’s overall performance
- Evaluate and implement accounting, purchasing and invoicing systems that will support ANet’s long term growth goals
- Partner with the Staff Accountants, Finance Director, HR Manager, General Counsel and other stakeholders to identify and define critical infrastructure needs
- Manage and develop a high-performing team of two staff accountants to meet organizational and professional goals
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You have 3-5 years of prior experience managing the accounting function (including A/R, A/P, travel and expenses, grant accounting, etc.)
- You are energized by managing others and have a track record of leading teams to drive systemic changes
- You have exceptional analytical and strategic thinking skills that set you up for success in identifying areas of process and system improvement and your strong project management skills allow you to drive innovations forward
- You are deadline-driven and solutions-oriented and thrive at working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
- You are a collaborative team player and your positive customer service attitude makes you excel at communicating with diverse internal and external stakeholders
- You bring familiarity and comfort with finance systems (QuickBooks, Egencia, ExpenseWatch) and advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Belief in Achievement Network’s mission and strategy: Hold a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
- Belief in ANet’s Core Values: Be eager to learn, with a willingness to reflect deeply on how to live out all of our core values daily. Be open to examining personal archetypes and bias and discuss topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to our Advance Equity and People Matter values.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- Experience with nonprofit accounting practices
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
To apply, please visit our Job Board (https://achievementma.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx) and click the “Apply” button associated with this role. You will then be prompted to create an application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter. In your cover letter, please outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.