Location: Boston, MA
Position is available: Immediately
WHO WE ARE
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that’s grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country.
Founded in 2005, ANet now serves over 700 schools educating over 230,000 students in California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Tennessee. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students. ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, including a prestigious Investing In Innovation (i3) grant from the federal government in 2010, New Schools Venture Fund’s “Organization of the Year” in 2011, and The NonProfit Time’s “Best Nonprofits to Work For” in 2015 and 2016.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
We are seeking a detail-oriented Staff Accountant to support the Finance Team with all areas relating to accounting functions and financial reporting. The Staff Accountant will be responsible for executing on daily, weekly and monthly accounting activities to ensure timely closes and accurate financial reporting. This position will manage crucial aspects of the Finance Team’s work including A/R, A/P, travel and expenses, general ledger preparation, fund accounting, internal/external audits and legal compliance. The Staff Accountant role will report directly to the Accounting Manager and will work closely with a five-person team supporting an organizational operating budget of $27 million.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Manage Accounts Receivable (A/R), Accounts Payable (A/P) and Travel and Expenses (T&E) processes and systems
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close
- Maintain financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and fund accounting
- Maintain accounting controls and make recommend revisions to accounting policies and procedures as needed
- Support audit activities
- Monitor and manage all grant accounting
- Partner with other Accounting Team members to develop a more efficient A/R system to drive revenue collections
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration and/or 1-3 years of prior experience in accounting
- You bring familiarity and comfort with finance systems (QuickBooks, Egencia, ExpenseWatch) and advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Your analytical skills and attention to detail allow you thrive in entrepreneurial, fast-paced environments
- You have a track record of success as a project/process manager and bring a collaborative approach and positive customer service attitude to your work
- You are skilled at communicating effectively with diverse internal and external stakeholders, particularly when supporting others with financial policies and procedures
- You are proactive and motivated and take initiative to seek out professional development opportunities as well as opportunities for you and your team to increase effectiveness and efficiency
- You are very flexible and bring a deadline- and solutions-driven orientation to your work
- You hold a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
- You are eager to learn and have a willingness to reflect deeply on how to live out all of our core values daily. You are open to examining personal archetypes and bias and discuss topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to our Advance Equity and People Matter values.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- Experience with nonprofit accounting practices
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit our Job Board (https://achievementma.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx) and click the “Apply” button associated with this role. You will then be prompted to create an application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter. In your cover letter, please outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.