Job Title: Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Status: Full-Time/Exempt
Reports to: President of the Gilda’s Club Rochester Board of Directors
Supervises: Program Director, Development Director, Events and Communications Director and Business Manager
The CEO is the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation, with complete authority and responsibility for all operations of Gilda’s Club Rochester (GCR), an affiliate of the Cancer Support Community (CSC), including implementation of all plans, policies and goals adopted by the Board of Directors (Board). The CEO reports to the President of the Board, manages staff and volunteers, and is the key interface with the community, major donors and our healthcare partners. The CEO of GCR must possess the experience, judgement and capabilities to become a recognized leader in the local nonprofit community, as well as a respected leader in the regional cancer and healthcare community, and the community at large.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Fund Development and Financial Management
- With the Board, Executive Committee (EC) and Development Director secure sufficient funding to ensure the ongoing operation and future growth of GCR.
- Lead broad range of revenue raising activities directly and/or through board and development staff. Key revenue raising activities may include: major gifts, special events, grants, board, staff and other individual gifts, planned giving and bequests.
- With the Finance and Development committees, develop and monitor long range financial and revenue generation plans.
- Cultivate new and retain existing a broad range of donors including individuals, charitable foundations and corporations.
- Develop annual budget with the staff and Finance Committee of the Board. Ensure implementation of budget and ensure that GCR operates within approved budget and conducts timely review of variances. Ensure that all financial obligations are met and immediately notifies Finance Committee and Board of any delays or concerns.
- Maintain a system of financial controls; monitor financial performance and enact corrective measures, when necessary. Ensures annual mandatory audit is conducted.
- Monitor legal climate and implement compliance measures, as required.
- Provide monthly financial statements and annual audits to the Board.
II. Internal Operations
- Provide general management leadership of an efficient and effective organization optimizing human, financial and physical resources.
- Ensure implementation of bylaws, polices, strategic plan, goals and priorities as adopted by the Board.
- Recruit, hire, train and evaluate professional and support staff including oversight of evaluation and compensation programs, personnel policies and procedures, and benefit programs.
- Oversee maintenance of the facility and all GCR assets including contracting for services.
- Manage staff and volunteers to provide optimal delivery of programs and services and to ensure productive work environment and spirit of teamwork.
- Exercise final control over all internal operations that support the strategic plan objectives and the specific goals.
- Oversee functionality and maintenance of GCR Information Technology System in collaboration with GCR staff and external contracting organizations.
III. Board Relations
- Partner with President and Executive Committee to coordinate the activities of a volunteer Board to achieve the strategic and financial goals.
- With the President of the Board, Executive Committee and the Board Resources Committee help recruit and develop Board and Committee members.
- Serve as a sitting and voting member of the Board. Attend all meetings of the Board and Executive Committee, and provide regular updates to the Board on the key activities.
- With the President of the Board, plan the agenda for all Board meetings and Executive Committee meetings.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Board to develop and implement the GCR annual goals and strategic plan.
- Through implementation of good governance processes, ensure the legal and financial integrity of GCR.
- Oversees the development and operation of all committees, serving as staff officer on Board committees and/or delegating this responsibility to other staff members.
IV. Community and Public Relations
- Serve as chief spokesperson, represent GCR at key meetings, community gatherings and media outlets.
- Develop and execute outreach and public relations programs to increase awareness of GCR and member programs in the community.
- Cultivate key individuals and organizations through in person meetings, speeches, media interviews and public appearances.
- Oversee the production and distribution of marketing materials.
- Build and nurture partnerships with medical centers, hospitals, regional cancer centers, oncology and internal medicine physician practices and other appropriate organizations.
- Ensure program development, delivery and expansion is consistent with GCR and CSC member needs and GCR strategic plan and available resources.
- Engage and supervise the Program Director to optimize the effective delivery of state of the art programs and services to members.
- With the Program Director, ensure member needs are identified and met in a manner consistent with the mission, philosophy and values of GCR.
VI. Relations with Cancer Support Community (CSC) and other Gilda’s Club Affiliates
- Interact with the Cancer Support Community leaders, CEO’s and Executive Directors at other Gilda’s Club facilities to exchange information and sharing of best practices.
- Work with other Gilda’s Club colleagues on inter-facility activities such as Advisory Councils, ad hoc planning teams, peer-reviewer on QA team, etc.
- Provide CSC reports in a timely and accurate manner as requested by CSC.
- Attend the National Leadership Conference and other CSC/GC meetings as necessary.
- Ensure CSC charter including attendance at required CEO/ED training and participation in Quality Assurance Program.