Chautauqua Institution seeks a Vice President of Marketing and Communications/Chief Brand Officer for this not-for-profit global convener of dialogue and debate on the most significant and compelling issues of the day – through engagement across the four pillars of arts, education, religion, and recreation. As a member of the senior leadership team, this executive reports directly to the new President. The CBO will guide the Institution’s actions to create a forward-thinking, vigorous external engagement and branding strategy, which strategically extends programmatic outreach, the use of technology, and underscores Chautauqua’s mission through the use of integrated marketing/communications. S/he can expect to use innovative strategies while leveraging Chautauqua’s programs to engage the community inside and outside the grounds of Chautauqua, along with understanding/embracing digital and social media channels.
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications/Chief Brand Officer leads and manages a team that is responsible for marketing; communications; all print and digital publications; video production; content management; external relations; websites and digital properties; ticketing operations and sales; guest relations and experience including accommodations management; business intelligence, data and analytics; office services.
Key initial priorities include:
- Develop a comprehensive branding and marketing strategy, which supports the goals of a vision ushered in by the new President, which centers on external engagement and expanding Chautauqua’s reach, in anticipation of an evolving strategic plan. The CBO will be a central leader in creating and championing this new plan.
- Serve as the key architect for messaging about the Institution and its various interests, including helping frame issues and content for the President.
- Work collaboratively with the President, the Board of Trustees’ standing committee on marketing, and senior staff colleagues in developing and executing the overall plan.
- Ensure that appropriate resources are in place and allocated efficiently to drive the plan, and that staff have clear performance goals and accountabilities.
- Create clear and compelling public relations (including issues management), communication, and media plans; and execute those plans through effective internal leadership and use of outside resources.
- Beta test, evaluate and release marketing pilot projects.
- As part of the senior team, assist in program development, and identifying target markets and approaches.
- Craft messages for under-represented constituencies to whom we intend to intensify marketing and outreach, including religious communities as well as ethnic-racial, socioeconomic, LGBT and international, among others.
- Create and work with department staff to develop pricing strategies, including dynamic pricing, promotions, retention and growth initiatives.
- Develop and monitor key metrics around marketing and business performance.
- Plan and deliver customer relationship management (CRM) strategies across the organization that increase guest satisfaction and retention.