United Way of Calgary and Area is the largest non-government source of funding for human care and community support programs in the Calgary region. United Way works with its community partners to build sustainable solutions for the future, while providing services today to improve lives of people when they need it most.
United Way of Calgary and Area is looking to fill a full-time position of Major Gifts Officer to join our Individual Giving & Investor Relations team. Reporting to the Director, Individual Giving, the Major Gifts Officer will work effectively with Major Donors, volunteers and the business community to achieve fundraising goals. The Core Competency characteristics every member of United Way is expected to possess are Adaptable & Resilient, Relationship-Oriented, Collaborative, Results-Driven, Values-Driven, and Strategic Thinking.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage relationships with Major Donors
- Work in a collaborative manner with the Individual Giving team and Workplace Campaign Managers in the creation and implementation of strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and retention
- Achieve annual fundraising goals
- Work independently and be self-motivated in initiating contacts with donors
- Assist in the long-range planning for the Individual Giving group
- Support, steward and create relationships with volunteers, staff and the Major Donor Cabinet
- Track all communication with Workplace Campaign Managers to ensure excellent donor service
- Develop appropriate strategies for growth, retention and prospecting of all assigned donors
- Build donors’ understanding of United Way’s vision and mission and the impact of their support
- Manage and monitor progress and results for all assigned donors
- Project Management
Experience and Skills
- Proven experience in major individual gift fundraising, and in cultivating and soliciting prospects capable of five and six-figure gifts
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising – able to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle: (1) to initiate contacts with potential donors; (2) to develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with volunteers and Senior Leadership team; (3) to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; (4) to make solicitations when appropriate; (5) to maintain stewardship contacts with donors
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of Major Donors
- Knowledge of tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to successfully manage multi-functional or diverse client accounts
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving, research and analytical skills
- Solid relationship-building skills
- Well developed capability in Word, Excel, Andar, SharePoint, and online research
- Post secondary education will be considered an asset
- Reply by email no later than 4 pm on February 8th, 2017
- Reply to: email@example.com
- Subject Line: Major Gifts Officer – Your Name
- Attachment: Your email should include one attachment combining the cover letter and resume.
- Please name the attachment last name_first name (example: singh_tanya.pdf)
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only those being considered will be contacted.