Title: Special Advisor, Centennial and Outreach
Position Type: Full-Time (Three-year term assignment)
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
We are home to more than 60,000 scientists from 139 countries. As the Special Advisor, you will be part of a dynamic forum for Earth and Space scientists to advance research, collaborate across disciplines, and communicate the importance and impact of science to society. AGU offers our employees exciting opportunities through top-ranked scientific journals, scientific meetings and conferences, and other educational and scientific programs, to present and publish research, gain leadership experience, mentor, and freely exchange knowledge.
What the Special Advisor, Centennial and Outreach does
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
The Special Advisor, Centennial and Outreach position is key in assisting AGU to promote discovery in Earth and Space science for the benefit of humanity, by being strategic in focus. The Special Advisor will be responsible for strategic guidance, program creation and facilitation, coordination, and networking/outreach regarding AGU's centennial project and its initiatives to raise the voice and awareness of the importance of science to the public and to policy makers. The Advisor will work closely with senior management to lead and facilitate a matrixed set of roles and responsibilities across the AGU staff, members, partners and programs.
- Creation and execution of the strategic communication program and event plan for the 100th anniversary (centennial) of AGU.
- The schedule for this role's deliverables is as follows:
- For 2017, half of the time will be spent assisting AGU with expanding public affairs and outreach in order to broaden support for Earth and space science and half on leading the centennial program development.
- For 2018, all work will be focused on centennial and primary outreach efforts will continue into 2019.
- Providing support for volunteer centennial committees and task forces.
- Responds to requests as appropriate, gathers needed information from other Internal departments, and prioritizes communication the ED/CEO, COO and elected leadership for review.
- Development of options and partnerships for expanding the voice and relevance of science.
- Identification of the key target audiences, influencers and partners to drive general brand awareness and engagement objectives, key organizational objectives, including raising funds, influencing decision-makers and engaging in strategic partnerships.
- Packaging various AGU initiatives and resources to plan centennial and awareness programs
- Utilizing connections to help broker partnerships in the nonprofit, for-profit, foundation, and government sectors regarding these initiatives:
- Enabling a center of excellence for each area of responsibility by creating, facilitating and assuring implementation of outreach and centennial programs and messaging.
- Maintaining superior alignment of vision and operations with centennial leadership team.
- Be accountable for assuring success of the centennial programs and overall outreach efforts.
- Managing programming and relationships to ensure collaboration and consistent messaging.
- Working with centennial partners, from members to partnership organizations, to organize programs and events.
- Working within approved budgets. Working with AGU executives, volunteer leadership, and team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
What the Special Advisor, Centennial and Outreach brings to the team
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
- Experience and/or education in Earth and space science strongly preferred.
- Ability to understand the big picture and connect multiple story threads to be one greater narrative.
- Capacity to prioritize and manage a diverse range of partners, projects and activities.
- Experience working with multiple groups at a single time and giving each the dedication of time and energy needed to create successful program.
- Strong computer skills is a must.
- 10+ years of experience with a Master’s Degree, with a focus on communication area and/or public policy, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 10 years of progressive leadership experience working with federal government entities, foundations, and corporations and proven capability in achieving success in a matrixed program environment.
Who the Special Advisor, Centennial and Outreach works with
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with others to achieve shared goals and outcomes that contribute to the mission, vision and strategic plan of AGU.
- Creates and maintains good working relationships with other directors, departments, elected leadership and representative staff, media representatives, community members and representatives of other societies and key stakeholders.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter with your salary requirements and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.