The Associate Director of Membership and Communications reports to the Director of Membership and Engagement and also to the Director of Marketing and Communications, primarily focused on the recruitment and retention of both institutional and corporate UPCEA members. The Associate Director works directly with both directors, implementing an extensive plan to attract, engage and, retain institutional and corporate members. This position is heavily engaged in the day-to-day operation of the membership department. The Associate Director will be actively involved in strategic marketing efforts, and will assist in the development of marketing messages and direct communications for members and prospects.
This position is ideal for aspiring membership or communications directors who have a background in communications and membership marketing who are serving in mid- to upper-level membership roles at their association. Applicants with experience in higher education marketing and communications, membership and/or foundation work strongly preferred. Strong writing, communication and verbal skills a must. Some travel (approximately 4-6 times per year) is required.
UPCEA is member-focused and strives for excellence in serving leaders in professional, continuing and online higher education. We work collaboratively and value creativity and initiative. We foster empathy, flexibility, and cultural competence.
As an integral part of the UPCEA staff, this position is expected to serve as an engaged and involved team member, supportive of the varied experiences and perspectives of internal and external colleagues; to support and actively build an office culture dedicated to superior member service; and to work within the team to ensure that decisions are made to further the association's goals.
- Develops and grows UPCEA’s membership via targeted recruitment, key messages, retention strategies and member stewardship. Works with the Director of Membership and Engagement to serve existing members (both institutional and corporate) and recruit new members with marketing campaigns, conference attendance, and member communications.
- Play a key role in UPCEA’s member relations efforts, including strategizing with both directors to provide value leading to membership retention and new member acquisition.
- Works closely with both directors to create membership marketing messages for email, direct mail campaigns, social media and website
- Manages interactions with members and prospects, and responds to requests from institutions and corporate entities for UPCEA information and materials on a daily basis. Assists the membership director with the day-to-day functions of the membership department.
- Assists the membership director in securing sponsorships and exhibitors for UPCEA conferences, working with corporations and businesses to match their interests with UPCEA programs, products, and services.
- Attends events and interacts with members, exhibitors and sponsors, providing on-site support and engagement.
- Maintains database information for members, corporate partners, sponsors and exhibitors, and prepares dashboards and membership revenue reports.
- Maintains knowledge of current industry trends, publications and events.
Assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Membership and Engagement and CEO.