This is a full-time role reporting directly to the Controller. The Accounting Manager will play an integral part in building a scalable infrastructure with strong internal controls. This role will manage a team of two and provide support to other departments. A proven track-record of success in managing a small team, strong technical accounting knowledge, demonstrated critical thinking skills and the ability to thrive in ambiguous situations are a must.
The Accounting Manager will initially be responsible for overseeing and improving processes in cash, fixed assets, prepaid expenses, deferred rent, other current assets, accounts payable and accruals and ensuring the accuracy of and budgeting for related expense accounts. Within one year, the role will expand to include payroll and benefits review. The Accounting Manager will also be responsible for overseeing the related day to day operations and month end close procedures related to these areas. In addition, this role will assist in conversion to a new accounting system.
- Mentoring and developing technical and soft skills for a year-round team of two, with one additional seasonal hire from August – January
- Recruit & oversee on-boarding of seasonal hire
- Ensure team members are adequately cross-trained
- General Accounting:
- Ownership of cash, fixed assets, prepaid expenses, other current assets, accounts payable and accrued expenses
- Identify and lead processes improvements in areas of responsibility
- Monthly entries to record investment activities
- Quarterly recording of royalties
- Develop procedures to book monthly accruals for invoices not yet received (excluding inventory)
- Quarterly review of reasonableness for recurring accruals (e.g. water, electricity, etc)
- Preparation/review of monthly balance sheet account reconciliations for designated areas
- Monthly review of related expenses, including comparison to prior year and budget
- Prepare correcting journal entries as needed and identify ways to prevent in the future
- Review monthly departmental reports and distribute managers for final review
- Accounts Payable:
- Process weekly check runs
- Upload check details to banking system for Positive Pay
- Review invoices and expense reports over a stated threshold
- Enter new and maintain existing vendor information into accounting system, ensure we obtain W-9’s as needed
- Oversee annual issuance of 1099’s
- Payroll & Benefits:
- Review HR’s benefits reconciliations of invoices to payroll withholdings; record receivables from providers and collaborate with HR colleagues ensure funds are returned
- Reconcile quarterly 941’s to accounting records
- Review employer taxes by employee group (seasonal, year round, hourly & salaried) for reasonableness
- Provide information on variances to budget and prior year
- Replenish petty cash as needed
- Ownership of corporate credit card program
- Oversee payments to charities, including applicable filings
- Identify and implement cost-savings, including tax rebates and other incentives
- Assist in the annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting processes
- Develop, document and maintain standard operating procedures and controls policies manuals regarding cash disbursements, invoice entry, expense reporting and new vendors and ensure they are consistently followed
- Develop and maintain dashboard of value-added metrics, including purchase discounts
- Oversee transition of related areas into new accounting system (tentatively scheduled for early to mid-2017), including efficient processes and testing for controls, completeness and accuracy
The Ideal Candidate:
This role is an opportunity to be a critical part in UncommonGoods’ sustainable growth, within a company that cares deeply about how it affects individuals and its community. The Accounting Manager will be an integral part of future systems conversions, drive major process improvement initiatives, and work closely with other departments in order to provide the organization with timely information and valuable insights.
In addition to at least 5 years of work experience, an undergraduate degree in Business, Accounting or Finance (or related work experience) and 2+ years of management experience, the ideal candidate will be:
- Confident & humble. You’re comfortable acknowledging what you don’t know, give others the benefit of the doubt, and excited about leveraging your natural strengths.
- Passionate about what you do. You’re excited about being a part of UncommonGoods, eager to contribute and learn, ask a lot of questions and execute improvements.
- A Compassionate Leader. You’re driven to unlock your team members’ full potential, adapting your style to what works best for each individual. You see everyone as a person, not a means to an end. You understand the value of balance – powering through peaks while also making time to rest and recharge in order to be your best self.
- Thorough & accurate. You don’t consider the work complete until you have all the information needed. “Do it once & do it right” is your motto!
- Highly organized. You’re able to manage multiple priorities and work with a sense of urgency without sacrificing quality.
- A strong critical thinker. You don’t stop when you hit a speed bump and enjoy figuring out the best path forward, consulting others as needed. You anticipate consequences and future needs, and plan accordingly.
- Positive. You are a curious and constant learner, where every day and every task is an opportunity to learn. Challenges are opportunities to showcase your skills.
Essential Skills and Competencies:
- Track record for exceeding expectations and striving for excellence.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and projects.
- Works well with limited supervision, seeking guidance as necessary.
- Strong, highly diplomatic, communication skills
- Comfortable with technology and software, including Outlook, Excel and Accounting Systems
- Extreme attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to protect organization's values by keeping information confidential
- Experience with a mid-size company ERP, such as Microsoft Dynamics, NetSuite, Intacct, etc
- CPA, previous experience in a high-growth and/or e-commerce environment preferred but not required
Benefits & Company Perks:
- Competitive salary
- Benefits package including health, vision, and dental insurance, 401(k), and generous PTO
- Stock options
- Casual work atmosphere
- 40% discount on UncommonGoods merchandise
- Monthly Company snacks, lunches, and team events
This role is critical to our team’s success and impacts the development and growth of two of our team members. In addition, the Accounting Manager will work closely with other departments. As such, we take a lot of care to do our best to ensure this role and the candidate are a good match. To help us do so, all applicants must submit a cover letter. Please note, resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.