Our Associate Vice President for Development will assist in the development, management, and implementation of an ambitious, comprehensive fundraising strategy in support of South Dakota State University. This leadership position will play a vital role in supporting the Foundation’s continued success. Our Associate Vice President for Development will provide direct supervision, coaching, and mentoring to a team of approximately 8-10 development directors and assist in developing and monitoring progress towards fundraising goals. This position will lead our cohesive and collaborative partnership between development staff, university leadership, organizational leadership and key volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Metrics and Performance Management
- Manage the recruiting, hiring, training, mentoring, motivating, goal-setting, performance evaluations, professional development, and compensation management for a team of approximately 8-10 development directors.
- Assist the Vice President for Development in establishing clear, measurable annual goals, five-year planning goals and progress benchmarks for development directors and the units they serve.
- Monitor monthly and quarterly progress against metrics and provide qualitative and quantitative reports assessing fundraising results and recommend strategies to successfully meet and exceed stated goals.
- Provide the structure and guidance necessary to promote a high-performance culture that empowers development directors to meet the needs and expectations of SDSU.
- Ensure each program or unit served has strategic objectives, measurable outcomes, and aspirational work plan goals and is clearly positioned for university wide benefit.
- Seek new or creative opportunities to provide team members with professional growth experiences, including mentoring,
coaching or other activities that require personal commitment to help grow new generations of fundraising professionals
- Work with the Director of Advancement and Engagement to oversee development director prospect pools and assist in
the strategic moves management process.
Relationships and Fundraising
- Manage an active donor and prospect portfolio of approximately 25-50.
- Build and nurture collaborative, donor-centric, long-term relationships with major gift donors.
- Design and implement comprehensive strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift prospects and donors based on university and Foundation priorities.
- Model and encourage a donor-centered culture of teamwork that includes university leadership and Foundation partners including annual giving, planned giving, corporate and foundation relations and alumni relations.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration within and across internal departments, developing processes and making recommendations as appropriate to maximize effectiveness, efficiency, and information sharing.
- Work closely with the department of Advancement and Engagement to develop the processes and procedures for the identification of new prospects, reporting processes and integrity of database information.
- Engage in professional development activities that will enhance job performance, including building networks within the university and with colleagues at peer institutions.
- Oversee the department budget and utilize resources effectively and efficiently.
Engagement with University Partners and Volunteers
- Build teams of volunteers in support of the university’s fundraising priorities.
- Ensure that the Foundation is viewed as a transparent, collaborative, responsive partner to be able to professionally address both opportunities and concerns.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive and detailed knowledge of current fundraising priorities within the university.
- Develop effective engagement strategies involving campus partners, trustees and other stakeholders to effectively utilize a wide network to support development efforts.
- Participate in the process to determine campaign priorities, future coordination of feasibility studies, and identification and recruitment of volunteer campaign leaders.
Travel and Attendance
- Travel regionally/nationally as well as attend evening and weekend activities as required.
- Annually attend/participate in a wide sampling of university and campus events to gain a strong understanding of South Dakota State University.