TITLE: Certification Program Development Manager
REPORTS TO: Senior Director, Technical Services
DEPARTMENT: NICET – Program Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Social Science, Management, Education, or other related specialty with course work in technical writing and 10 years’ work experience in certification or managerial/behavioral analysis, including working with associations, committees, and/or volunteers, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience in staff and project management.
Experience in proofing and editing.
Experience in dealing with test development, technical concepts, language, and collaborative work environment.
A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and experience with data management programs is essential.
- Leadership and organizational skills to work effectively in a team setting and independently to manage concurrent processes and projects to meet established goals, deadlines, and quality standards.
- Exercise strong leadership skills, including ability to effectively function independently and within a team environment including NSPE/NICET staff, volunteers and constituents.
- Effective supervisory skills: must be able to supervise and mentor all employees of the department, set and monitor staff’s goals, manage staff’s performance and discipline, and participate in hiring of the employees within the department.
- Possession of effective interpersonal and customer service skills, including ability to function effectively with NSPE/NICET staff stakeholders, customers, and the general public to convey policies and procedures clearly, concisely and consistently under all conditions.
- Effectively utilize available staff and volunteers, equipment, and services to accomplish goals.
- Understand, evaluate, and analyze work processes and responsibilities that typically occur in technical business.
- Excellent ability to write, analyze, and assess technical test questions and other materials for clarity, cognitive level, and appropriateness of technical content.
- Efficiently lead group/volunteer discussions, keeping them focused on the desired outcome.
- Understand the nature and concerns of various companies, associations, and personnel within the engineering technology community.
- Ability to apply standard testing industry principles, accreditation criteria and basic statistical concepts to test an item development and maintenance.
- Strong spelling and proofreading skills, with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English, including ability to write collateral program materials for print and web, and the ability to make effective presentations to stakeholder groups.
- Solid computer software skills, including database, internet, email, word processing, item authoring and banking applications.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
Demonstrating competencies previously provided and employing applicable established Standard Operating Procedures to:
- Oversee program development and maintenance planning, scheduling and prioritization, and budgeting of development processes.
- Resolve program development and maintenance scheduling conflicts, and identify and mitigate test development and maintenance resource deficiencies.
- Oversee the recruitment and management of subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Oversee the coordination of practice analysis development/maintenance and resulting reporting with psychometric consultants (as necessary).
- Analyze practice areas to determine the tasks, knowledge and skills required of practitioners.
- Facilitate face-to-face and online practice analysis committee meetings.
- Edit practice analysis documents for accuracy and clarity, and organize the elements of the practice analysis according to NICET standards.
- Work with staff and volunteers to conduct validation surveys and develop test specifications, experience requirements and final reports.
- Oversee the planning and conducting of item-writing workshops, item-editing sessions, score setting studies, and other test development and maintenance processes.
- Oversee test design – QTI programming and test publishing template design (score reports, scoring, test presentation development).
- Supervise members of the NICET program development staff, and coordinate staffing needs on specific projects with the Senior Director of Technical Services.
- Manage system integration, test delivery communication and initial test deployment with the test delivery vendors – scheduling, data transmission, trouble shooting, monitoring QTI/publishing progress.
- Manage processes to provide appropriate documentation and records of program development and maintenance activities.
- Maintain the security of confidential test, candidate, and vendor information.Work with Communications staff to coordinate programs’ marketing activities.
- Work with consulting psychometrician to prepare final program development reports, and research alternative methods for test development when necessary.
- Coordinate and oversee the modification of or separation into new processes of SOPs, style guides, and work flow charts to reflect evolving practices.
- Resolve escalated customer service concerns.
- Make informational presentations to groups of stakeholders.
- Provide guidance to stakeholders on the use of NICET certification programs.
- Provide guidance to NICET staff and SMEs on the development and maintenance of practice tests.
- Assist other departments and perform other duties as assigned.