IFAC is the global organization for the accountancy profession dedicated to serving the public interest by strengthening the profession and contributing to the development of strong international economies. It is comprised of over 175 members and associates in more than 130 countries and jurisdictions, representing almost 3 million accountants in public practice, education, government service, industry, and commerce.
The Technical Manager is expected to understand, support, and promote the objectives of IFAC and the specific objectives and work programs of the Global Accountancy Profession Support (GAP-S) department, which works to advocate for, promote and support the role of Professional Accountants in Business (PAIB) and Small and Medium Practices (SMPs). This position will focus primarily on PAIB activities with project work in support of SMP activities as needed. The Technical Manager will work primarily with IFAC's PAIB Committee and the IFAC Global Knowledge Gateway (a resource and information website). The Technical Manager will engage with professional accountancy organizations and other key stakeholders on national and global opportunities and challenges for PAIBs and SMPs; develop information resources such as committee agenda papers, newsletters and guides; and organize conferences or webinar events on emerging issues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to those set out below:
Committee and Meeting Management
- Co-ordinate the organization and operation of IFAC's PAIB Committee New York and overseas meetings and related events. Oversee the GAP-S administrative assistant in arranging meeting requirements (e.g., accommodation, catering, audio-visual services) and logistics;
- Prepare well-reasoned and high quality agenda papers and supporting materials on technical topics and emerging issues, meeting summaries and minutes.
Research and Publications
- Undertake desktop research on emerging trends related to PAIB and SMP/SME issues such as technology, information needs beyond financial information (Integrated Reporting), corporate governance and risk management;
- Communicate relevant findings on the above trends and issues and how they will impact business needs and the finance function through articles and identify other resources for inclusion on the Global Knowledge Gateway;
- Develop new or revise IFAC publications and coordinate their production, distribution, and promotion.
Support Stakeholder Engagement
- Provide input to external organizations' activities to ensure they are aware of and give due consideration to issues relevant to PAIBs and SMPs/SMEs including those developing:
- International standards such as the International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board and the International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants;
- Guidance, frameworks, and codes such as the International Integrated Reporting Council and The Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO);
- Prepare relevant presentations for committee members, IFAC leadership and staff;
- Build and maintain relationships with other IFAC departments to facilitate inclusion of and support for PAIB and SME/SMP issues across other organization activities. Specifically, work with the Global Accountancy Profession Development (GAP-D) and Public Policy and Regulation functions;
- Work with the Communications department to generate ideas, articles, and press releases to communicate PAIB activities and issues;
- Build and maintain relationships with IFAC member organizations, accounting firms, and other organizations as appropriate.
The Technical Manager will also need to take responsibility for other tasks within IFAC or participate in other IFAC projects should the needs of the organization require it. Key responsibilities and priorities are determined on a periodic basis.
- A professionally recognized bachelor's degree or equivalent professional qualification;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is necessary with additional language skills a plus but not essential;
- Minimum 5 years' experience in a finance or accounting function, professional practice, professional accountancy organization, or public sector organization;
- Knowledge of the accountancy profession and an interest in PAIB and SMP/SME matters;
- A strong interest in the opportunities and challenges facing the global accountancy profession and, in particular PAIBs, SMPs, and SMEs;
- An appropriate knowledge of international standards, guidance, frameworks and codes relating to integrated reporting, COSO, risk management, auditing and assurance, ethics;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Proven ability to write effectively on technical issues and ability to translate concepts into content for blogs, articles, and newsletters;
- Excellent teamwork and project management skills;
- Strong computer literacy and experience with Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Ability to liaise with senior members of the accountancy profession;
- Ability to prepare well-reasoned and concise research and meeting papers;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work to internally and externally imposed deadlines;
- Commitment to quality processes and products;
- Ability to apply professional judgment and identify potential solutions to complex issues;
- Ability to oversee administrative staff;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with flexibility especially important;
- Ability to work with many cultures;
- Ability to relate well and build constructive relationships with others and operate as an effective team leader or team member;
- Additional language skills is a plus;
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, able to work without supervision, and to respond quickly and effectively to issues.
The Technical Manager will be required to comply with the policies and procedures set out in the IFAC Employee Handbook and other policies and procedures as issued by IFAC from time to time.
The position will be located in the New York office of IFAC.
The position requires international travel.