The Walters Art Museum is among America’s top 50 art museums. Situated in the historic Mt. Vernon district of Baltimore, the Walters has an internationally renowned collection of over 33,000 objects. It presents major exhibitions annually, has a world-class conservation studio and research program, and is a leader in education. The Walters’ Advancement Division consists of Development, Marketing & Communications, Visitor Services, and the Office of the Board of Trustees. Reporting to the Director of Major Gifts, the individual will be part of a dynamic team that collaborates with each other.
The Manager of Major Gifts will advance the mission of the Walters by planning and implementing long- and short-term strategies to increase the level of personal involvement and financial commitment by contributions. Emphasis will be given to devising strategies and techniques to upgrade existing donors and identifying individuals with increased capacity. The Manager of Major Gifts will bring demonstrated expertise and accomplishment to the role, providing leadership in individual and planned giving.
In collaboration with the Director of Individual Giving & Major Gifts and the Manager of Individual Giving, the Manager of Major Gifts is expected personally to solicit operating support, capital funding, planned gifts and endowment gifts, thereby generating significant growth in annual support and endowment, through personal cultivation efforts, and upgrade initiatives.
- Stewardship of Major Gifts
- Assist the Director of Individual Giving & Major Gifts with developing institutional goals, including fundraising priorities, naming opportunities, and giving strategies; work closely with the Director of Individual Giving & Major Gifts to develop appropriate fundraising budgets and revenue projections for operational support and campaign giving
- Develop and implement an annual work plan with measurable objectives and courses of action
- Identify, cultivate an solicit prospects for potential major gifts at the $10,000+ level, including donors of artwork
- Establish and build strong relationships through proactively initiating prospect and client visits in collaboration with other Museum staff and Board
- Maintain an active portfolio of 75 – 100 individual and family donors; coordinate strategies for re-engaging former donors
- Stewardship of Planned Gifts
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects for planned gifts
- Steward existing members of the Walters Legacy Society; work with the Director of Individual Giving & Major Gifts to cultivate donors for new legacy gifts
- Donor events an cultivation
- Collaborate with the Manager of Special Events and Rentals to plan and execute donor cultivation events for major donors
- Support donor events, including the Gala, with planning and staffing
- Draft and edit stewardship pieces in collaboration with the Director of Marketing & Communications
- In collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer and Director of Finance, draft and execute Gift Agreements for endowment and legacy gifts
- Document contacts, communications, visits and proposals in Raiser’s Edge and other appropriate donor files.
- Perform other duties as required