The Director of Development position plays a critical role in the securing of resources for the implementation of HITS Theatre, which provides musical theatre training for children ages 5 to 18 with a focus on production. This position is responsible for handling all aspects of fund development and communications as they relate to individual giving, major gifts, grants, foundations, government funding and events. The Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director to cultivate current and potential donors as well as maintain satisfaction with all donors as it relates to their benefits and recognition received throughout the year. This individual must insure that all HITS Theatre events are professional and uphold the mission & purpose of the organization.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
General Administration (10%)
- Maintain accurate mailing lists as they relate to donors.
- Maintain Donor Perfect database.
- Respond to all gifts in a timely manner with the appropriate communication and documentation.
- Serve as an ex-officio member and staff liaison for the board Development Committee. In collaboration with the committee chair, assume a key role in coordinating meetings and providing information.
- Prepare all materials for Development committee meetings and create notes for committee chairs to report at Board meetings.
- Provide appropriate support to Development committee chair, board members and other community partners as needed to carry out the functions of the committee and cultivate board engagement.
- Develop HITS’ fundraising competency by ongoing training and development as well as providing coaching and direction to the board and staff.
- Attend all HITS class performances and any other productions as they relate to HITS Theatre.
- Attend staff meetings and report on the progress of development & communication activities, deadlines, events and financials; solicit program needs from staff as they relate to grant writing efforts.
- Attend professional development courses/seminars/ workshops as they relate to development/communications.
- Perform any duties and support functions as directed by the Executive Director.
- Work with Communications Contractor to ensure up to date and current information is going out to the donors, students and parents.
Fund Development (75%)
- Develop proposal strategies in conjunction with Executive Director and the needs of the organization.
- Prepare proposals and reports for foundations, corporate, and public funders.
- Research corporate, foundation, individual donor, and public sector prospects.
- Together with the Executive Director, work to cultivate relationships with donors.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Create and implement a comprehensive annual Development Plan that includes a calendar of deadlines, strategies and guidelines.
- Update and maintain the working broiler plate documents and Board Grant Report.
- Work with the Development Committee to help plan and execute donor cultivation events – including signage, pricing, contracts, location scouting, menu, guest speakers, A/V, agendas, scripts etc.
- Work collaboratively with Development Committee to explore proposal opportunities.
- Manage all aspects of donor solicitations and mass mail-outs.
- Responsible for following and meeting all income and expense budget projections.
Special Events (15%)
- Plan special events, secure corporate and individual sponsors, and recruit and train volunteers to serve on event committees and in staging the event(s).
- Solicit and Coordinate Miller Sponsors, Playbill Sponsorships, and Miller Ticket Donor Benefits.