Under general direction of the Accounting & Operations Manager, performs a variety of professional level accounting duties involved in preparing, maintaining, analyzing, verifying, and reconciling financial transactions, statements, records, reports, annual audit, and month/year-end closing; and provides highly responsible staff assistance to assigned management staff.
Overview of Duties, Responsibilities and Position Requirements
- Establishes and maintains accounting records for buildings, land, vehicles, equipment, and infrastructure acquired by the City; ensures transactions are in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, governmental accounting standards, and City policies and procedures.
- Accurately monitors and accounts for all purchases (including Capital Lease items), retirements, transfers and adjustments in both the general ledger and the asset system according to GAAP and GASB.
- Performs the timely and accurate computation and recording of depreciation of capital assets.
- Reconciles the capital asset system to the general ledger accounts.
- Directs departments in performing controlled and capital asset physical inventories.
- Works closely with senior management to ensure proper schedules are created at year-end for the preparation of audited financial statements.
- Performs a full range of professional, administrative and analytical duties involved in managing the City’s grants.
- Ensures proper administration of grant funds and develops grant reporting and evaluation systems; coordinates execution of contracts between City and grantor; monitors progress of project and adherence to terms and conditions of grant award; provides guidance to project manager regarding specific program requirements that must be met.
- Interprets federal, state, and local government laws and regulations regarding grant contracts and administration.
- Maintains and completes necessary records, files, reports, databases and resource materials pertinent to grant activities.
- Participates in grant technical training provided by funding agencies and keeps abreast of changing grant standards and proposal guidelines.
- Participates in the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR); prepares and researches data for assigned sections.
- Participates in the year-end audit; compiles and prepares supporting schedules, work papers, and financial reports as requested by auditors.
- Compiles, reconciles, analyzes, and prepares a variety of financial statements, ledgers, supporting schedules, and other financial and statistical reports; prepares work papers, financial statements, and various reports for federal and state agencies as well as for internal accounting.
- Conducts perpetual on-line auction of surplus assets.
- Works with Risk Management Administrator to assist in ensuring that asset items are insured to the proper coverage amounts.
- Provides backup for other accounting functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.