The National Marine Sanctuary Foundation (Foundation) – a private, non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening and promoting U.S. national marine and Great Lakes sanctuaries – seeks a Director of Development. This is a new position for the Foundation and we are looking for an innovative and experienced fundraising professional to manage all aspects of the development program and grow the organization’s capacity to fulfill its mission. The Director of Development is a senior leader who reports to the President and CEO and serves as partner in developing the organization. This is a new position for the Foundation.
The Director of Development works collaboratively with the President and CEO, Board of Trustees and Foundation staff to support long-term strategic planning, ensuring integration of organizational priorities within the development program. The Director of Development will ensure that the Foundation builds a team with the talent and expertise to achieve the Foundation’s fundraising vision, and will provide the leadership in achieving fundraising success. The candidate should bring an entrepreneurial mindset and be excited about building a new fundraising strategy and program for the Foundation. Strategic know-how for building the national presence of a small organization is a plus.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Create, lead, assess and manage the organization’s fundraising strategies;
- Expand and diversify individual and institutional financial resources and explore new revenue generating activities;
- Design and implement strategies to cultivate and grow major, principal and corporate donor programs;
- Design and implement donor development, stewardship and recognition strategies to enhance donor relationships;
- Work with management team, Board of Directors, staff and current donors, foundations, corporate and government contacts to identify and engage new funding prospects and strategies;
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with staff in the field to support local fundraising efforts;
- Ingrained in helping with budget process;
- Work closely with staff on fundraising events; and,
- Write grants on behalf of the Foundation.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Please send resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org and please include “Director of Development” in the subject line. Candidates should include their desired salary with the application. Applications received prior to March 31, 2017 will be preferred. No phone calls please.
The National Marine Sanctuary Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair and equal treatment of its employees.