| This position reports to the Director of Athletics and is a NCAA Division II intercollegiate women’s basketball program in compliance with all NCAA, Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference and institutional rules and regulations. |
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, coordinating the successful recruitment of prospective student-athletes, academic support, skill instruction, practice/game planning and execution, and the primary supervision of the program.
1. Coach a competitive women’s basketball program which meets annually established goals in a manner which promotes sportsmanship among athletes and ensures compliance with all NCAA, Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, and institutional rules and regulations.
2. Recruit outstanding student athletes to participate in the athletic program that fit the academic profile of the institution and are good citizens on campus and in the community.
3. Enthusiastically promote Minot State University academic and athletic programs to potential students, parents, guidance counselors and media. Ensure that players associated with the women’s basketball program are eligible under NCAA DII and Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference regulations.
4. Effectively prepare, submit, and oversee sound budgets. Ensure expenditures remain within budgets.
5. Work cooperatively with the athletic administrative team to ensure that equipment is issued and retrieved on a timely basis and facilities and students are scheduled appropriately to ensure smooth practices and home events.
6. Work cooperatively with the athletic administrative team to effectively contribute to monitoring student athlete academic progress, encouraging high standards, and counseling the University athlete as appropriate.
7. Share the Minot State University vision, and promote public awareness of Minot State University, its women’s basketball program, athletics, and academics, with emphasis on public relations. Participate enthusiastically in fundraising efforts.
8. Effectively supervise assistant coaches, student athletes, and student assistants to result in a competitive, ethical program.
9. Effectively recruit, hire, evaluate and motivate employees, ensuring that hiring and supervisory practices are in compliance with the spirit and intent of EEO/AA and other policies contained within the University’s employee and policy manuals.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
Ability to identify and recruit outstanding student-athletes is required. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. A thorough understanding of, and experience with, NCAA and Conference rules and regulations is required. Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate University coaches and athletes is critical; organizational, budget and management skills are imperative.
The ability to manage multiple tasks is essential. Knowledge of related computer applications is important. A valid driver’s license is required for travel. This position has non-standard hours and requires the ability to travel with a substantial time commitment during the fall and the spring.