Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops and sustains a major gift program to promote major gifts from individual, corporate and foundation prospects, focusing on the $1,000 - $1,000,000+ level, including:
- designing a strategy of cultivation and solicitation methods, including appeals and calls to action
- identifying individuals such as board members and community contacts who can become involved in the cultivation and solicitation process;
- creating annual fundraising budget;
- setting timelines;
- developing materials;
- creating acknowledgement procedures, including naming opportunities;
- Identify, cultivate and solicit major gifts prospects; and
- Manage a pipeline of proposals and solicitations to ensure targets are met.
- Develops, implements, and promotes planned giving/estate planning programs;
- Cultivates relationships with donors and prospects, including arranging visits and appointments, telephoning, communicating in person, and in writing;
- Coordinates activities with prospects’ attorneys and/or financial advisors to determine the most appropriate method of deferred giving and ensure necessary arrangements for collection of gifts;
- Develop a planned giving budget and strategies for implementation;
- Prepare and distribute printed materials outlining methods of deferred giving; and
- Maintain working knowledge of current tax laws, investment and planned giving opportunities as they relate to CSCs planned giving program.
Fundraising Events and Initiatives
- Supervises Development Assistant and/or outside special event planners;
- Oversees, creates, and secures corporate partnerships and sponsorships for events;
- Identifies in-kind giving prospects for events;
- Attends fundraising and friend-raising events to identify, cultivate, and steward current and prospective donors;
- Develops and executes all aspects of direct mail appeals and ‘call to actions’ to constituents;
- Oversees relations with volunteer fundraising committees;
- Works with board, fund development committee, volunteers, and staff to identify and secure appropriate event honorees and to maintain and cultivate relationships once established;
- Manages the life cycle of fundraising events including reviewing the performance, recommending improvements, and introducing new ideas or innovations as appropriate; and
- Supervises and provides technical assistance and training to the Development Assistant in the processes needed to cull specific fundraising reports, queries, mailing lists, and for management of donor related gifts and acknowledgements (receivables, deposits, thank you letters).
Management and Administrative
- Oversees grantwriting, including conducting research on potential funding opportunities. Grantwriting experience a plus. Participates with Executive Director and Director of Operations on foundation and corporate funding.
- Creates a master annual fund development plan and budget to reflect the goals and objectives of the organization;
- Defines, on an annual basis, measurable targets for the achievement of major gift, planned giving, and fund raising objectives;
- Develops and implements a donor relationship management strategy customized for different levels and types of donors including:
- creating and implementing appropriate donor recognition and acknowledgement actions;
- developing strategies to increase donor annual giving;
- regularly communicating with current and prospective donors, inviting them for site visits and to fundraising, friend-raising, social and educational events;
- using fundraising database and other systems for donor and prospect recordkeeping and relationship management;
- writing contact reports after each donor contact and visit to be added to database;
- developing individualized proposals and reports and program/project updates to donors, Board, and FD committee;
- Guides and supports fund development committee, and trains and educates board and committee level volunteers on development topics and solicitation techniques as needed;
- Represents, and speaks publicly when necessary, on behalf of CSC in organizations such as chambers of commerce, civic organizations and professional groups to promote mission, programs and positive image of CSC and to cultivate corporate philanthropy, donors and board-level volunteer recruitment.
- Remains current on management trends and practices within development and promotes implementation of innovations wherever practical.
- Assists in marketing efforts, including but not limited to social media posts, press releases, newsletter articles, and identifying key community members for media.