The HistoryMakers seeks applications for a Major Gifts Officer. The HistoryMakers, a national (501 ) ( c) (3) not for profit video oral history archive headquartered in Chicago, Illinois (http://www.thehistorymakers.com). This organization is experiencing tremendous growth and seeks to move to the next stage. The Major Gifts Officer must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of The HistoryMakers and possess the ability to function well in a mission-oriented organization with a sense of urgency and ethics. The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts of $10,000 to $100,000 from current and prospective individual donors and individual HistoryMakers. The MGO reports to the President & CEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage relationships with approximately 100 prospective donors and will be expected to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these very important alumnae and friends of the college.
- Raise $500,000 in the program’s first year and $1,000,000 in funding on an annual basis thereafter.
- Develop solicitation strategies that meet this fundraising goal, including the development of all briefing materials, strategies, proposals, presentations, reports, etc. in accordance with The HistoryMakers’
- Manage all aspects of the gift cycle for these prospects:
- Initiate contacts with potential major gift donors
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them, including working with the board of directors, staff and other volunteer leadership
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors; adhere to the highest ethical standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donors
- Develop and implement a plan to use The HistoryMakers database, special events, website and other solicitations as resources for major gift prospects.
- Must be willing to travel. Candidate should own a car and have a valid driver’s license and insurance.
- Perform all other duties as from time to time assigned.
- Two to five years of successful experience in major, annual campaign and/or planned gift fundraising preferably in education.
- Significant knowledge of major giving and annual campaigns, with experience in asking for and closing major gifts of $5,000 or more. Experience or other training in areas of campaigns and planned giving desirable.
- Ability to manage and track multiple prospects and donors simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively communicate a compelling and inspiring vision of The HistoryMakers’ mission and programs.
- Must be a self-starter with ability to develop and manage the systems, procedures and strategies to secure major gifts.
- Interacting professionally with diverse individuals of means, including donors, trustees, and volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree; Masters preferred.
- Effective interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
MS Office, Word, Access and Excel.
The HistoryMakers is a growing and dynamic 501 (c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to creating an unprecedented national video oral history archival institution recording the stories of both well known and unsung African American HistoryMakers. The goal is to record at least 5,000 oral history interviews and to expose this material to the public through strategic media, technology, academic and community partnerships.
For a look at our current projects, please see the following video links:
- “The HistoryMakers’ Future” - http://vimeo.com/inforvideoteam/review/91634451/fee5c6a148
Site password: review1234
- The HistoryMakers Promo Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2srlqmrxixzxg9/The%20HistoryMakers%20Promo.m4v
- The HistoryMakers Library of Congress Celebration
Site password: thm