Saint Martin’s University, a member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) and NCAA Division II, is seeking applicants for the current opening of Head Women's Basketball Coach. The Head Women’s Basketball Coach is responsible for all phases of the Women’s Basketball program and will report directly to the Director of Athletics. The Head Coach is responsible for all scheduling, budgeting, recruiting, scouting, communicating and training associated with the successful operation of the Women’s Basketball program competing in the GNAC and NCAA Division II.
The Head Women’s Basketball Coach position includes but is not limited to the following duties: Coaching
- Organize and coordinate coaching (daily, weekly, seasonal, conditioning phase and spring) based on a master plan for the program.
- Conduct practice sessions (in whole or in component parts) to follow master plan.
- Coach in games (conduct pregame, halftime and endgame talks) and communicate with staff and players in games.
- Evaluate players periodically and cumulatively (2 formal evaluation periods per year— post championship season, end of academic year and at two other seminal points in year (pre-season and early spring, informally).
- Analyze game video for player feedback and future scouting of opponents.
- Maintain regular correspondence with prospective student athletes.
- Create long-term player development plans: technical, tactical and physical development of individual players over time.
- Supervise assistant coach; to include interviewing, hiring, and training; planning, assigning, and directing work. Evaluate performance; oversee discipline and addressing and resolving areas of concern.
- Complete all travel documentation (travel list, itineraries, credit card usage, etc.)
- Update and coordinate actual expenses with program specialist to comply with budget.
- Develop championship season game schedules.
- Create seasonal calendars and communicate with staff and players (practice scheduling, game schedules, required paperwork etc.).
- Write weekly schedules for players when in season (nuts and bolts information regarding training, competition and travel).
- Communicate regularly with department staff (compliance, sports information, program specialist, and trainer) on specific items related to their job and our programs.
- Assisting in departmental fundraisers or community involvement projects (golf tournament, state high school tournaments, conference basketball tournaments).
- Coordinate and conducting local fundraising for program.
- Attend staff meetings and training as directed.
- Serve on Committees as requested (department / university, NCAA, AVCA).
Student-Athlete Academic Support
- Assist student-athletes in scheduling classes (who to see, what to ask).
- Help with ensuring NCAA progress towards degree requirements and working with student-athletes on achieving academic success and eventual graduation from SMU.
- Counsels team members in academic and personal matters, counsults with college administration for resolution of problems.
- Maintain contact with key basketball administrators in the community and have productive relations with a variety of basketball entities in an effort to recruit prospective student athletes.
- Evaluate players at recruitment to the University
- Watch recruit videos for upcoming signings and potential recruits
- Meet with prospective student athletes on campus (discuss academic expectations, student academic goals, NCAA compliance regulations.)
- Communicate regularly with admissions on status of prospective student athletes.
- Update NCAA mandated Compliance Assistant software for recruiting activities.