The Director of Development develops and executes SMC’s annual fundraising strategy in conjunction with the Executive Director (“ED”) and Board of Directors. Key goals include leading a major capital campaign ($1,200,000) to fund completion of SMC’s Wastewater Treatment Plant Collection System by November 2018; increasing the current base of donor support; cultivating and creating new avenues of donor income; cultivating relationships with existing donors; and managing grant development. The Director of Development could be located at SMC or in one of the cities along the Colorado Front Range.
Reporting to the ED and supervising the Development Associate, Donor Data Associate, and Grant Writer, the Director of Development serves as a key leadership team member and active participant in strategic decisionmaking affecting SMC. In partnership with the ED, this position is responsible for all fund development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build SMC’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The Director of Development will also design and implement a comprehensive strategy and requisite plans for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and institutional support. Responsibilities also will include SMC’s end of year and other campaigns, as well as events connected with major on land programs and off land special events.
Key Tasks, Responsibilities & Accountabilities
Planning and Strategy
- While holding ultimate accountability, collaborate with the ED and Directors of Business Development and Finance to develop a comprehensive development strategy for all major fundraising initiatives.
- Independently develop all plans necessary to support and execute all major fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with the ED and Directors of Business Development, Program Operations, and Finance to develop and implement SMC’s financial strategy.
- Based upon the development strategy and organizational strategic objectives, independently plan, organize, and execute all fundraising campaigns, including the end of year campaign, seasonal campaigns, and weekend/small program asks.
- Develop and monitor annual fundraising goals, communicate status outward to stakeholders, and input data into development strategy development process.
Donor Development & Engagement
- Identify, cultivate, secure, and retain new major donors with a goal of growing the number of donors annually to meet the increasing needs of SMC.
- Develop, maintain, and grow the individual donor base:
- Identify and cultivate prospective donors.
- Cultivate donors by producing specialized correspondence, preparing letters of acknowledgment, and scheduling and attending in-person visits.
- Cultivate major gifts; produce donor, board, and special category solicitations and support materials with the intent to acquire, retain, and upgrade gifts when possible.
- Support the ED and board members in their efforts to cultivate and solicit support for SMC.
- Plan and organize fundraising and donor appreciation events.
- Cultivate, solicit, and secure legacy giving through bequests, life insurance, and other planned-giving vehicles.
- Create award and programs to recognize donors, volunteers, and other members of the SMC community for their fundraising efforts.
- Develop a donor engagement strategy that includes a Giving Society with donor levels, benefits, and progression strategy; a program centered around connecting donors with the SMC land directly; and volunteer opportunities.
- Collect and address donor feedback and ideas in a meaningful way and distribute feedback and ideas when appropriate.
- Develop a corporate sponsorship program.
- Investigate modern fundraising trends, strategies, and techniques and collaborate with SMC’s Business Development and Marketing Departments to create new fundraising vehicles that align with Shambhala Vision and SMC’s overall communication strategy.
Program and Seasonal Appeals
- For weekend and small program fundraising campaigns/asks, develop themes, write scripts, train coordinators, monitor events, and at times present the ask.
- For summer campaign, develop ask strategy and retain responsibility for all facets of events. events.
- For end of year campaign, coordinate resources with other departments to execute all campaign tasks, draft and distribute campaign emails as well respond to inquiries, manage and participate in call campaign, and manage the creation and maintenance of web pages developed to support campaign.
- Working with the Board of Directors, oversee the completion of handwritten thank you cards and the distribution of appreciation gifts.
- Supervise maintenance of donation web pages and physical donation boxes.
- Oversee grant writer’s research and identification of grant opportunities.
- Generate queries, reports, exports, and any other data collection as needed; provide weekly/monthly/quarterly reports and dashboards on progress of individual campaigns and toward overall fundraising goals.
- Lead Development Department staff to maintain an accurate donor database, included all related systems, to ensure professional communications and accurate data collection.
- Manage day to day activity and tasks of development staff and summer volunteers.
- In consultation with the ED, recruit, interview, and select well qualified fund development core staff.
- In consultation with the human resources manager, interview and select well-qualified temporary and voluntary departmental staff.
- Develop policies and procedures for the Development Department which reflect ethical fundraising practices.
- Align all development communication messaging, copy, images, and stated SMC goals and objectives with the SMC marketing communication strategy.
- Communicate regular status updates to the SMC community.