Are you the fearless fundraising professional Real Change is looking for? We transform lives through work and community. It's a job you can believe in. Apply now.
Real Change seeks a skilled, experienced, innovative philanthropy leader with 5+ years of development experience in a nonprofit, educational or public service environment to join our dynamic, accomplished leadership team. We seek a highly organized, detail-oriented self-starter who can demonstrate collaboration and teamwork in a complex and fast-paced environment, and who can manage up, down and laterally to ensure the success of the fundraising enterprise and the organization itself. An ideal candidate will have resilience, initiative, a sense of humor, candor, good communications skills, adaptability and creativity, cultural competency and class awareness, and a demonstrated passion for social justice.
The Development Director (DD) is a full time, exempt position at Real Change reporting to the Founding Director. The DD will work closely with staff including the Founding Director and Part-Time Development Assistant as well as board leadership to develop and execute a comprehensive, growth-oriented fundraising plan with an emphasis on major donor cultivation and stewardship. In 2016, our revenue from donations was approximately $650K.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
Donor Development (60%)
- Work with staff and board to develop and execute aggressive fundraising plan and build a robust fundraising culture
- Manage Raiser’s Edge donor database and generate timely reports to track fundraising effectiveness.
- Identify and qualify major gift prospects and cultivate philanthropy through regular personal engagement, such as visits, tours, phone calls, and invitations to engage as volunteers
- Engage Founding Director and board members in major donor stewardship and solicitation
- Plan and execute stewardship activities that promote donor retention, as well as increased philanthropy and levels of personal involvement
- Expand our 1,700+ individual donor base through mail, innovative on-line and social media giving strategies to leverage our newspaper and social media presence
- Conduct annual Spring and Winter fund drives
- Participate in development of written materials including, but not limited to, annual report, drive-related appeals, and marketing materials
- Develop and promote planned giving program to build endowment fund
- Supervise administrative staff to ensure timely gift acknowledgement and data processing
- Maintain and enhance workplace giving and car donations programs
Event Management and Marketing (20%)
- Oversee online development communications: website, social media, and email
- Develop and manage fundraising committee to engage board members and other volunteers
- Oversee efforts of a volunteer/board events committee
- Support Founding Director in marketing and communicating community events and open houses
- Develop and execute Real Change’s long running Annual Breakfast
- Develop annual event sponsor relationships and advertising with mission-aligned businesses and institutions
Management and Administration (15%)
- Collaborate, participate and contribute as a part of the Real Change Senior Management Team
- Supervise Development Associate, seasonal administrative support of staff and interns, and consultants
- Participate in development of Real Change budget and manage fundraising expenses
- Other interdepartmental activities including participation in staff and management meetings, participating in racial equity work and trainings, and backing up program staff, as needed.
- Work with founding director and contract grant writer to complete grant applications and grow foundation support
- Coordinate site visits with foundation representatives and ensure that all Real Change participants are prepared for visits in advance
- Ensure follow up on grant applications to complete status updates and final reports on a timely basis
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by March 22nd. Please write “Development Director” in the subject line.
People of color and those with direct experience with poverty and/or homelessness are encouraged to apply
More information here: