The State Accounting Office (SAO) provides accounting and financial reporting expertise for the State and is responsible for statewide financial reporting, oversight and management of the State’s ERP system, accounting policy, internal control, business process improvement recommendations, and management of the SAO Shared Service Center.
The Statewide Accounting & Reporting (SWAR) Division is responsible for the planning, coordination and delivery of the state’s regulatory financial reports, along with the compliance and risk management functions. Compliance activities include the preparation of the Single Audit Report, oversight and management of the Statewide Cost Allocation Plan (SWCAP), and establishing and assessing agency internal controls in order to more effectively manage risk and maintain accountability.
SWAR is a dynamic and highly successful team dedicated to the continuous improvement of financial reporting, and providing value to the stakeholders of Georgia. SWAR is seeking an Internal Controls Analyst to become part of the team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Internal Controls Analyst will assist in the implementation of the State’s comprehensive internal control framework which is based on SAO’s interpretation of the Green Book (published by the Federal Office of Management and Budget). His/her role is to evaluate, monitor, and improve statewide internal controls and financial accountability. The candidate may also be responsible to assist in the preparation of the Single Audit Report and the Statewide Cost Allocation Plan (SWCAP).
His/her duties will be to:
- Assist in developing and providing practical internal control tools and guidance to State agencies based on the Green Book
- Assist agencies with assessments of their internal control system
- Review agency internal control submissions
- Document and make recommendations regarding gaps in operations, reporting, and compliance controls at both the agency and statewide levels
- Conduct periodic risk assessment processes at both the agency and statewide levels
- Work with agencies’ management to monitor the effectiveness of controls, and to identify weaknesses and breakdowns in their internal control system
- Coordinate with agencies’ management and State auditors to address findings and follow up on corrective action plans
- Conduct individual and group training sessions on internal controls
- Keep current on PCAOB, COSO, GAAP and other applicable guidance, and evaluate how changes to these guidelines could impact the State’s internal controls design
- Prepare executive level reports for communication of results
- Prepare and coordinate portions of the Single Audit Report for the State of Georgia, as assigned
- Prepare and coordinate portions of the Statewide Cost Allocation Plan (SWCAP), as assigned
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of internal control design and ability to evaluate operating effectiveness
- Knowledge and understanding of the Green Book, risk assessment practices, fraud prevention, and control activities
- Experience in writing control policies, procedures, and process evaluation documentation
- The flexibility and independence to work in a changing and unstructured environment
- Sense of detail/accuracy as well as the ability to see the larger picture
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving abilities
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
NOTE: We are not able to provide sponsorship for this position.
NOTE: The State Accounting Office conducts background checks on all final candidates. Hiring of applicants is contingent upon satisfactory results of background and criminal records investigations, employment and education verification, and professional license checks (where applicable).