HarvestPlus seeks a highly-motivated Head of Fundraising and Donor Relations to join our External Affairs team. The successful candidate will be an ambitious and entrepreneurial fundraiser with deep networks and experience generating new revenue from high net worth individuals, foundations, governments and multilateral donor agencies. This position is a three year, fixed term, renewable appointment and is located at HarvestPlus headquarters in Washington, DC.
HarvestPlus works with partners to tackle hidden hunger on a global scale by breeding vitamins and minerals into everyday food crops. With operations in more than thirty countries, HarvestPlus is bridging the gap between agriculture and nutrition and improving the health and livelihoods of millions of people. Our goal is to reach 20 million farming households by 2020 and one billion consumers by 2030 through the development of inclusive and sustainable markets for biofortified crops.
HarvestPlus is part of the CGIAR Research Program on Agriculture for Nutrition and Health (A4NH). CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership working towards a food secure future. Its science is carried out by its 15 research centers in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. The HarvestPlus program launched jointly in 2003 by two of these centers, the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). It now operates under a quasi-independent structure with 160 international staff and an annual budget of $40m.
Specific duties of the Head of Fundraising and Donor Relations include but are not limited to:
- Achieve ambitious and measurable income targets through design, leadership and execution of fundraising strategies, expanding HarvestPlus’ core funding and strategic global and country-led initiatives
- Cultivate, grow and nourish new donor relationships, with a focus on high net worth individuals and international foundations
- Create and lead agile, cross-disciplinary and geographically diverse teams through concept formulation and full proposal development
- Work collaboratively with country managers to secure local funding opportunities (bilaterals, national governments) and to develop innovative funding-focused partnerships
Donor Reporting and Management
- Lead donor reporting requirements, in synch with CFO-led financial reporting, and direct donor-facing communication
- Refine/oversee internal management systems for donor research, contact databases and progress tracking tools
- Translate highly technical, multi-sectoral needs into tailored and digestible fundraising concepts (both verbal and written) adapted for constantly-changing audiences
- Manage a small team of fundraising analysts, with strong potential for future team growth
- Work closely with Heads of Policy/Advocacy and Communications to align messaging and joint outreach efforts
- Represent HarvestPlus in global and national policy fora, donor engagement events and country-level visits
- Direct concept and creation of compelling and innovative donor-facing materials and outreach mediums