If it impacts technology, IEEE has it covered. We publish technical journals, organize conferences and develop technology standards that help technological professionals exchange ideas, expand their knowledge, and move forward in their fields. With more than 400,000 members, IEEE is the world’s largest professional association advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. We are a catalyst for exciting breakthroughs in computing, sustainable energy systems, aerospace, communications, robotics, healthcare, and many other disciplines that improve the quality of life. Discover your future as part of the IEEE team. Consider the following opportunity:
Senior Manager Publications & Education Strategy and Svcs, Technical Activities
Piscataway, New Jersey
Apply now at: https://ieee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=PUB00000116
The successful applicant will manage the Signal Processing Society’s (SPS) portfolio of periodical and continuing education products. Responsibilities will include strategy formulation for new educational offerings/periodical products, as well as operations/financial oversight for all SPS periodicals and educational products. This role reports to the Society Executive Director and manages at least four direct reports. Working under the guidance of the Society’s VP-Publications and Publications Board and VP-Membership and Membership Board, you will also interact with the VP of Conferences and VP of Technical Directions and their Boards. This position is typically expected to provide leadership in identifying issues, proposing alternatives, and providing solutions.
Strategy and Planning for Growth of SPS Educational Products and Services (30%).
Periodical Management and Marketing (30%).
- Oversees the entire Society publications process, especially paper submissions and peer reviews; acts as a backup for other staff on their journals; trains new staff; and acts as a consulting resource for the publication volunteers and staff.
- Facilitates the development and implementation of a publications marketing plan. Human Capital Management (20%).
- Manages the daily activities of the SPS publications operations staff and oversees the production of monthly and annual reporting per journal, which details current and long term trends in keys areas, such as: submissions, papers processing time, page budget, etc.
Financial & Administrative Management (10%)
- Acts as publications and education comptroller.
- Provides monthly reports to the Vice President-Publications on the publications financial status, noting areas of concerns, and monthly reports to the VP-Membership on education products and services.
- Prepares annual page budgets for all publications and obtains Publications Board approval.
- Reports budgets to the Sr. Manager, Operations for the SPS budget.
Technology and Database Management (10%).
- Supports the development and implementation of a technology infrastructure for the Society’s publications and education business models.
- Maintains a working knowledge of IEEE publications databases and other technology tools to ensure data integrity and useful reporting of the SPS publications operations business.
- Expected to become highly proficient with ScholarOne Manuscripts, IEEE Xplore, and other tools and databases and to operate comfortably in a progressive electronic environment with emphasis on Web tool development for both the publications and continuing education businesses.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as engineering, technology, or business administration is highly desirable. Relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of a formal degree.
- Recent training in digital publishing management is highly desirable.
- 8-10+ years of relevant experience in operations management that includes demonstrated expertise in creating and managing budgets and accounts, managing production schedules, reviewing documents for legal and contractual risk, maintaining positive relationships with volunteers and customers, and human capital management.
Skills & Other Requirements:
- Must be a self-starter, capable of setting direction of self and group, in consultation with others.
- Must have demonstrated skills in successfully managing direct-reporting and indirect-reporting staff and contractors as well as working with volunteer leaders.
- Must be skilled in vendor/supplier negotiations
- Must possess exceptional attention to detail, and strong timeline/deadline management skills.
- Must be a technologically savvy knowledge worker who seeks out technology solutions to business challenges; be successful working in a progressive electronic environment; and possess strong proficiency in gathering, analyzing, and presenting data in Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must possess a strong command of business English and be a consummate professional communicator who engages in active listening skills. Must be skilled in conversing with those for whom English is a second language; and be able to speak across the IEEE organization and the SPS organization in a manner that furthers the Society’s conference and event business.
- Must possess the ability to prepare presentations using PowerPoint or other company standard presentation software, as well as possess solid presentation and platform-speaking skills. Must utilize informative and persuasive speech to present the directions, instructions, research, strategy, conclusions, and other Society messages.
- Must possess clear and concise writing skills and communicate effectively to all Society communities; required to create financial analyses, performance evaluations, performance improvement plans, requests for proposal, contracts and vendor engagement letters, and documentation of Society-specific processes and practices, and be expected to interpret them in writing.
- Must master the IEEE Constitution and Bylaws, as well as those of the IEEE-Signal Processing Society, related to publications and continuing education including complex materials relating to the Society, its budgetary processes and activities, partnerships with allied businesses and vendors, and other financial matters.
- Must demonstrate the ability to learn and apply information found in publications and education contracts, technical manuals and manuscripts, author instructions, By-laws, policies and procedures.
- Must be able to continuously offer solid research and reasoning skills, and provide direction to volunteer and staff leaders on a variety of standard and non-standard business issues.
Strong interpersonal skills are a prerequisite for success in this management position.
He/she must be able to:
- Think on his/her feet and act independently;
- Learn the details of a complex business organization;
- Resolve conflicts and business challenges, often with little lead time;
- Offer a positive attitude and a team-based approach toward departmental goals;
- Exhibit cultural agility and awareness;
- Exhibit professionalism, tact, and good judgment, often under pressure; and,
- Demonstrate strong communication skills, including skills in negotiation, change management, work unit organization, human capital management, leadership, volunteer relationship management, client and vendor management, and staff management.
- Must possess a valid and current passport
- Presence in the Piscataway IEEE Office is required
Join us in an environment where people look forward to coming to work! IEEE offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, 401(k) plan with company match, a defined contribution retirement plan, a tuition reimbursement program, flexible spending accounts, company paid life insurance, and a business casual dress code.
Please apply online by going to this URL: https://ieee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=PUB00000116
Only those resumes that go through the URL from the web address will be considered. NO THIRD PARTIES PLEASE.
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under [Category I—Office Position].
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Visit www.ieee.org to view details about open positions in one of our four offices:
Los Alamitos, CA; New York City; Piscataway, NJ; & Washington, DC.
The IEEE is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.