Teach For America Houston is seeking a Managing Director of Development who will work with our local Development and Public Affairs team to collectively raise approximately $8M annually in Houston. We are looking for a Managing Director, Development who can do the following three things:
- Be an excellent relationship-builder and communicator
- Be a strong project manager and strategic thinker
- Manage a robust donor portfolio and independently fundraise $2M annually
You will report directly to the Senior Managing Director of the Development & Public Affairs.
For more than 25 years, Teach For America has been a pacesetter for education reform in the city of Houston. Since 1991, Teach For America corps members have taught in Houston’s lowest-income schools, reaching nearly 200,000 students collectively and becoming some of our city's most prominent education leaders and reformers Despite the sustained effort by committed community leaders and Teach For America corps members and alumni, however, high dropout rates and substandard achievement in Houston's schools persist. Fortunately, Houston corps members find themselves in the company of reform-minded educational leaders. The same entrepreneurial spirit that made Houston the world's energy capital is working to increase educational opportunities for all of its students.
In the 2016-17 school year, 215 corps members are teaching more than 41,000 students in schools across Houston. An additional 1,400 Teach For America alumni living in Houston continue working inside and outside the field of education to bring the fundamental changes necessary to ensure educational excellence and equity. With 54 alumni school and district leaders, the creation of two charter school systems, and an establishment of several non-profit organizations targeting educational inequity, Teach For America - Houston is living out its mission.
Corporate & Foundation Relations – 95%
- Develop and implement a multi-year strategy for ambitiously growing corporate and foundation support.
- Build and cultivate long-term relationships with current and prospective funders to deepen their investment in Teach For America – Houston’s mission.
- Secure corporate sponsorship's for annual benefit dinner.
- Act as a reliable and dedicated go-to for the Senior Managing Directors of Development and Public Affairs, attending meetings and events in their absence.
- Manage the calendar of all development activities related to corporations and foundations.
- Research and evaluate corporate and foundation donor prospects.
- Work closely with the Manager of Grants and Research and the Director of Regional Communication & Marketing to ensure we have materials to effectively communicate Teach For America - Houston’s vision.
Other – 5%
- Coordinate school visits, volunteering opportunities, and events for corporate and foundation donors.
- Support team wide initiatives like, event and campaign preparation.