The Child Mind Institute is an independent, national nonprofit dedicated to transforming the lives of children and families struggling with mental health and learning disorders. Our teams work every day to deliver the highest standards of care, advance the science of the developing brain and empower parents, professionals and policymakers to support children when and where they need it most. Together with our supporters, we're helping children reach their full potential in school and in life. We share all of our resources freely and do not accept any funding from the pharmaceutical industry.
Child Mind Institute (CMI) is seeking a high-achieving, creative and entrepreneurial Associate Director of Development to support the Director in leadership and strategic direction of the department. Of priority importance, this individual will work with the Director to create a long-term growth plan for individual and major giving, in conjunction with corporate partnerships and sponsorships, which includes building a staff portfolio structure for management of major gifts by the development team and key organizational leadership. The person will oversee moves management of all donor pipelines (annual donors, major donors, capital campaign donors) and devise strategies for year-round activities that include identification and cultivation of prospective donors, briefing and solicitations of primed donors, and stewardship of existing donors. This individual will maintain his/her own portfolio of donors as well as support the solicitation efforts of key organization and Board solicitors. As the Associate Director, this person will work closely with the Director and the Development team on oversight of other major development initiatives including data management, grassroots and digital fundraising campaigns, development of a donor “Advisory Council”, and special events.
The position reports to the Director of Development and will also work with members of the CMI Board of Directors and Dr. Harold S. Koplewicz, CMI President and Founder.
The position is located at CMI headquarters in New York City. This is an exempt, full-time position with competitive salary and benefits.
- Assist the Director in making strategic decisions for the development department.
- Serve as the representative for the department in the Director’s absence and/or for key meetings when the Director is present.
- Actively manage existing donor pipelines through moves management systems and oversee development of portfolio structure for development staff and key organization leadership.
- With Director, ensure we meet and grow revenue goals for annual and capital campaigns.
- Maintain a portfolio of six-figure prospective donors.
- Support management of $30 million capital campaign to fund the Child Mind Institute’s neuroscience research agenda.
- Collaborate with appropriate development staff to prepare for donor meetings, including developing accurate, concise and thoughtful meeting briefs and presentations, following up on potential leads, researching new donors and ensuring organizational leadership involved in pitch are briefed and prepared for meetings.
- Manage individual prospect research and execute systems to prioritize the identification and cultivation of prospects.
- Recruit for and staff a new volunteer leadership body, the Child Mind Institute Advisory Council.
- Support the Director on other individual giving activities, including grassroots and digital fundraising efforts.
- Ensure effective communication and development of program goals and objectives with other departments, CMI leadership, and the Board.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.