The Director of Events for SME will lead a team of Show Managers and Conference Managers to implement strategy and deliver on key objectives that drive growth, attendance and customer solutions. Additionally, this leader will lead the WESTEC, the west coast’s leading manufacturing event that occurs every other year.
The ideal candidate has trade show management experience, enjoys a fast-paced environment and a variety of assignments and challenges. A passion for trade shows and conferences with a self-starter attitude is required for success.
• Support VP of Events & Industry Strategy in the overall delivery of business results.
• Lead and manage group of Show/Event and Conference Managers to achieve defined strategy and budgeted financial goals of $5M - $15M/yr.
• Provide daily direction and guidance to Event Manager Team - provide regular communication. Drive collaboration and teamwork within the group. Work closely with Event Managers to achieve their budgeted goals.
• Facilitate Events Group budget process, support Show Managers in budget development and management.
• Connect and collaborate with other SME departments and business units for the benefit of Events and SME overall. Event Management
• Manage WESTEC Event (occurs every other year). Create a dynamic and value-driven show experience for both exhibitors and attendees. This includes budget and strategy development and management. Direct team leads for exhibit sales, operations, marketing, and special programs.
• Manages projects with both an eye to detail and the big picture, developing plans, coordinating teams, communicating changes and progress, and respecting timelines and budgets.
• Collaborate with SME staff, and external service providers to ensure successful event operations and program development/deployment.
• Interact regularly with major exhibitor customers and key attendees to ensure event/project is in sync with market needs and requirements. Form event advisory committees for key initiatives and build relationships with companies and individuals who are engaged.
• Develop literacy and working industry knowledge including the technologies and processes featured. Foster the ability to discuss customers’ products/services and discern opportunities.
• Travel to events and other industry meetings/activities - 20% travel