Harvard Kennedy School
Office of Financial Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Duties & Responsibilities
Responsible for the strategic direction of accounting, payroll and control activities within the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). Enhances the control and reporting environment by establishing and monitoring effective processes and systems. The incumbent reports to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer and assists in the four general areas of internal controls, operational management, compliance, and by participating in strategic planning discussions as a member of the senior leadership of the financial team. Controller will work with finance colleagues at HKS and across the University to ensure high levels of customer service by providing professional, timely, and accurate financial services.
- Responsible for effective management of team of six HKS accounting Exempt and Non-Exempt staff including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
- Establish and implement short and long range organizational goals, strategic plans, policies and operating procedures.
- Develop implement and monitor accounting control processes and procedures that ensure compliance with University and HKS policies and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely financial reporting and adherence to GAAP, including quarterly and annual close reporting.
- Advises HKS leadership on all aspects of financial matters including regulatory and compliance issues.
- Collaborates with University-wide finance leadership to develop accounting processes, policies, procedures and systems.
- Manages administration of HKS payroll and accounts payable, accounts receivable, expense report and other reimbursement processing. Establishes protocols to ensure Departments and Centers process financial transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
- Maintains School's chart of accounts.
- Actively represents HKS at the University level in development of new financial systems and reporting capabilities and designs and manages their local implementation
- Furnishes internal reports, revises and updates reports to be more useful and efficient as necessary. Serves as a resource within HKS in the extraction of data and in the development of useful management reports.
- Ensures financial compliance with University policy and procedures, audit and accounting disclosure requirements, and applicable legal rules and regulations.
- Strongest reputation for integrity, honest dealing and confidentiality
- Excellent communicator. Establishes clear direction. Ability to deliver difficult messages with grace and encourage or compel compliance and good citizenship
- Effective manager. Identifies, develops and promotes talents. Addresses underperformance.
- Orchestrates multiple activities simultaneously to get things done through both formal and informal channels
- Influences, persuades and negotiates effectively; Achieves consensus among multiple stakeholders and ability to navigate in a decentralized environment. Works well with people of varying levels of authority in multiple organizations
- Passion for innovation and continuous improvement
Please upload your resume and cover letter as one document.
Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background checks.
Harvard University is committed to supporting a healthy, sustainable learning and working environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of ten years' relevant work experience related accounting/financial operations experience
- MBA or Master's degree in relevant field preferred
- CPA Preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, advanced excel skills
- Demonstrated experience with Financial systems and data query tools, including skill to adapt and implement new systems and applications
- Advanced knowledge of accounting principles and tax regulations. Experience in fund accounting preferred
- Strong work history of building collaborative relationships and effective work-groups toward achieving common goals