About More Than Me
More Than Me (MTM) is seeking outstanding team members who are interested in building an equitable world and preventing global crises before they start. We believe that every child deserves to live in safety, with access to basic healthcare and a quality education. We have learned what it takes to provide for these three fundamental rights through years of working on the frontlines of education, Ebola and social welfare programming in Liberia.
MTM has continually evolved to serve its students. It was started to provide vulnerable girls scholarships to attend school, but in 2013, after seeing that many of the schools our students were attending were non-performing, MTM launched its own tuition-free, all-girls Academy. In 2014, during the Ebola outbreak, MTM stepped up to protect our girls and their families, and our Founder and Program Manager were recognized as TIME Persons of the Year for their efforts as Ebola Fighters.
Now we are growing to take on an even larger challenge. After a multi-decade civil war and the scourge of Ebola, Liberia’s education system is failing. In Liberia, more than 40% of girls age 10-14 have never been to school. Approximately 73% of girls and women in Liberia are illiterate. The Nobel Prize-winning President, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, has described the system as “a mess.”
To change this, MTM is part of the Partnership Schools for Liberia (PSL) initiative with the Ministry of Education, an innovative partnership that brings together eight education providers to manage Liberian public schools.
In 2016, we launched the MTM Public School Network with six charter primary schools, in addition to our existing academy. In five years we plan to operate 500 schools with our proven model, called (S)HE Matters: Safety, Health, Education and Monitoring. MTM staffs each school with a team of professionals, including a social worker, nurse, and School Capacity Lead that is focused on improving teacher and principal quality. Additionally, each school operates with an innovative apprenticeship and mentoring approach that empowers government employed-teachers, principals and community health assistants to learn the core functions of our safety, health and education interventions even after MTM core staff leaves.
To support this work, we are seeking an entrepreneurial and ambitious Director of Development who can build partnerships that will supply the resources necessary for MTM’s expansion. We need a Development Director who is driven, thoughtful, and strategic, and comfortable managing all phases of the fundraising cycle while providing guidance to the CEO and Board on future opportunities for growth. The Development Director will be responsible for all major gifts and grants and will work closely with the Chief Marketing and Fundraising Officer, who is responsible for individual giving and online fundraising campaigns.
MTM’s Director of Development will be responsible for stewarding an existing pipeline of $3M in grants and major gifts and building a pipeline and pathway towards a $7M portfolio within the next three years.
The Director of Development is responsible for all stages of the giving cycle, including:
- Developing a fundraising plan targeting a mix of foundations, corporations, and high-net worth individuals for gifts in the $25,000-$1MM+ range
- Identifying and researching prospective donors to evaluate their giving and potential fit with MTM programming
- Conducting direct outreach to donors and participating in related events to network and build relationships with potential donors
- Tracking and managing all donor cultivation activities, including advising the CEO and Board on their engagement with donors
- Tracking all organizational engagement, anticipated and current gifts, and contacts for donors and prospects in a Salesforce system
- Organizing materials and information in advance of meetings with donors and prospects and capturing follow up tasks related to such meetings
- Drafting grant proposals, including project budgets and workplans, in conjunction with MTM leadership, and manage and draft all reporting to donors
- Tracking use of restricted funds and coordinating with the Director of Finance and Operations to ensure appropriate use of funds
- Updating organizational leadership on progress towards fundraising goals through weekly-check-ins and quarterly reporting
The position reports directly to the President, but will have a high level of engagement with the Chief Marketing and Fundraising Officer and CEO of MTM, as well as MTM’s operating staff to ensure that funding is aligned with program needs.