No child should grow up hungry. Since 1984, Share Our Strength® has led the fight against hunger and poverty by inspiring and organizing individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Share Our Strength, a national nonprofit, is ending childhood hunger in America by connecting children with the nutritious food they need to lead healthy, active lives. Through its No Kid Hungry Campaign®—a national effort to end childhood hunger in America—Share Our Strength ensures children in need are enrolled in federal nutrition programs, invests in community organizations fighting hunger, teaches families how to cook healthy meals on a budget, and builds public-private partnerships to end hunger, both nationally and at the state level.
The Director of Development, Mid-Atlantic Region, will be responsible for a fundraising goal of a minimum of $2.5 M raised in the greater Washington, DC region. This includes major gift and event fund raising and growing support for our Virginia Campaign. This individual will lead our efforts to have significant growth in the market over the next three years. Working very closely with senior leaders to solicit, cultivate and steward donors. To help achieve the market goals, this individual will work with our current DC-based team of two full-time staff members and one temporary employee. This position will report to the Managing Director of Development.
This position will have the extensive resources of headquarters, including a donor operations team focused on data and research, compelling communications tools and resources led by a best-in-class brand and communications team, a culinary events operations and chef strategy team, expert finance and human resources colleagues, and the support of our executive leadership team. The Executive Team is highly motivated and is willing to be used as a development and cultivation resource. Additionally, we have a pipeline in place to create leads through membership and events. You will create the strategic vision to harness the existing pipeline as well as to continue to strengthen it. There is tremendous potential in this market.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage all individual donor and event fundraising in the Mid Atlantic market through culinary event experiences and major donor outreach and stewardship. This will include growing our donor base for the Virginia Campaign and stewarding current donors.
- Expand our individual major gifts program to enable us to significantly increase the capacity of this revenue opportunity.
- Oversee management of our cultivation events in the region and optimize leveraging of those events as a successful cultivation vehicle.
- Mine our database and maximize its capability to support the cultivation of both existing and potential donors with a goal to increase their donations on a continuous basis.
- Develop, inspire, engage, and motivate staff; work collaboratively with peers across the country. Keep the organization appraised about your region’s plans and resource needs.
- Leverage existing Share Our Strength resources and best practices and effectively apply and share your own expertise to support attaining your team’s specific goals and deliverables.
- Support and partner with the Executive Team and board members on major fundraising activities.
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to the CEO and executive staff.
- Develop communications to build and sustain donor relationships.
- Other duties as assigned.