Job Title: Director – Personal Tax and Financial Planning Research
Group: Charles Schwab Center for Financial Research (SCFR), a unit of Charles Schwab & Co. Inc.
Location: Schwab's Denver/Lone Tree, CO center preferred. Other locations negotiable.
Charles Schwab & Co. Inc. and the Schwab Center for Financial Research (SCFR), a research group within Schwab, are seeking an experienced expert in personal tax and its connection to financial planning and investment management.
The position's will investigate key topics of interest to individual investors who are seeking to understand and manage taxes and communicate those findings to employees and clients.
The work includes advice both for clients with smaller balances as well as higher-net worth clients.
The Director position is a single-contributor position and will not work directly with individual clients.
The role will shape Schwab’s point of on key tax issues view in research, writing, training, events, PR, and other materials, to deepen advice and the financial planning culture at Schwab.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Research, commentary, and rep and client events
Write and publish commentary on tax topics, including tax efficient investing, asset location, withdrawal strategies, for a range of Schwab clients
Provide Schwab’s view, in writing and events, on tax regulations and rules, including commentary on tax reform and annual changes in tax rules, in partnership with Schwab’s legislative analyst office
Increase rigor of Schwab’s advice on tax topics as they connect to financial planning and investing, backed by research, evidence, and experience with individual investors
- Subject-matter expert and thought leader
Serve as subject-matter-expert on key personal tax and financial planning topics, for Schwab financial planners, wealth strategies, and client-serving reps
Review articles, writing, training and other material written by internal partners to ensure consistency and accuracy for reps and clients
Provide, but go beyond, simple guidelines to provide evidence-based research and advice on tax topics
- Internal partner support
Work with internal partners to improve existing and build new financial planning advice, offers and products
Evaluate and document key tax assumptions and methodology in planning tools, including evaluation of tax and estate planning tools
Serve as tax expert for Schwab Intelligent Portfolios™ (SIP) tax-loss harvesting and other tax algorithms, including a deep understanding of tax rules to improve existing tools, supporting Schwab’s quant team
Examples of Research
Key questions may include:
- How should the average investor understand and respond to current and potential future tax regulations and laws?
- How can I manage or lower taxes on earned income, investment income, pensions, annuities, my estate and other forms of income?
- How do I invest efficiently to lower taxes, including asset location considering treatment of taxes on investment income, tax-lost harvesting, and other strategies?
- What new rules or regulations should I be aware of this year as I prepare for tax season?
- How should I efficiently use various tax-advantaged accounts (e.g. IRA, Roth) or products?
- How can I minimizing taxes on Social Security, pension income, RMDs, account distributions, etc. during retirement?
Schwab Center for Financial Research
The Schwab Center for Financial Research (SCFR), a division of Charles Schwab & Co., provides top-quality research, timely market insight and practical guidance to help investors and registered investment advisors make better decisions. SCFR provides equity ratings, asset allocation strategies, advice and planning tools, fixed income insight, expert communications and guidance on technology-driven investing.
For more information go to schwab.com.
For samples of written content go to schwab.com/insights.