The Director of Development, Pardee RAND Graduate School, is a mid-career position that will be responsible for cultivating and soliciting annual and major donors, and building a pipeline of donors through alumni and friends of the school to support a multiyear campaign. Candidates must demonstrate an interest in public policy and the ability to effectively communicate Pardee RAND’s mission, vision, and philanthropic case. We are looking for an entrepreneurial self-starter who has the ability to successfully network and build strong relationships with current and potential donors. This position reports to the Director of Development/Campaign Director for Pardee RAND and works closely with a team of development professionals as well as the Dean and faculty of the graduate school.
May perform any or all of the following duties:
- Expand Pardee RAND’s donor base at all giving levels by identifying and qualifying new prospects for annual and major gifts
- Actively manage a portfolio of donors and prospective donors, meet with them within a moves management construct, and manage the relationships through cultivation, stewardship and solicitation activities including meetings, outreach and events
- Develop relationships with key volunteers who will help identify new prospects and fulfill Pardee RAND’s mission through philanthropic support
- Manage the relationships with members of the Pardee RAND Alumni Association Advisory Committee, and develop programs to increase alumni giving
- Effectively communicate the mission and strategic vision for Pardee RAND, distill the priorities of Pardee RAND leadership, and use key messages to support that mission and vision
- Introduce planned giving conversations with alumni and friends, and work with other development staff to close gifts
- Work closely with colleagues who oversee donor programs including annual fund, stewardship, and events
- Ensure the timely and appropriate recognition of gifts
- Ensure consistent and accurate data capture of donors and prospects in Salesforce database
- Work with school leadership to create fundraising projections and progress reports
- Solid fundraising experience in a non-profit or academic environment with a track record of soliciting five and six figure gifts
- Experience in all aspects of donor development, including running annual fund campaigns, major gifts and planned giving.
- Experience in prospect identification, relationship building, and solicitation of five-six figure annual gifts.
- Ability to identify prospects, build pipelines and grow annual support.
- Superior communication skills, with the ability to turn a complex concept into compelling case for support.
- Ability to see the big picture and demonstrate persistence, nuance, flexibility, diplomacy and a sense of humor.
Minimum of 3 years of experience; additional experience preferred
RAND is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Vets/Disabled