The American Psychiatric Association (APA), one of the oldest medical specialty organizations in the United States that represents over 37,000 psychiatrists practicing in more than 100 countries, is seeking a professional benefits specialist to oversee all aspects of the association’s employee benefits portfolio. Working collaboratively with the payroll clerk, HR staff, and the CFO, the benefits specialist will help APA offer a competitive benefits program, facilitate staff engagement around the benefits programs, liaison with benefit providers and ensure that benefits are compliant with state and federal rules and regulations. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to work across the organization and get to know the highly talented and accomplished members of the APA staff team. Ideal candidates will be detail oriented with strong knowledge of employee benefits and good people skills.
The Benefits Specialist is responsible for managing relationships with the employees of the APA as it relates to the total administration of the entire APA benefits program. Such benefits include but are not limited to health, dental, vision, life, retirement, worker compensation, short and long term disability, COBRA, unemployment, FSA’s and FMLA. The Benefits Specialist is also responsible for processing all appropriate employee benefits paperwork, payroll and disbursements/deductions related to employee benefits. This role is responsible for responding to audit requests, vendor requests/billing and federal government compliance. This role also conducts ongoing research into emerging trends, issues and best practices in employee benefits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Supporting Tasks:
- Serves as point of contact for staff on all benefit issues. Handles all benefit related inquires and grievances;
- Targets and coordinates Benefits related staff training and prepares materials to introduce, inform and educate staff;
- Responsible for benefit orientation of new hires, including providing information during recruitment process.
- Responsible for Benefit enrollment of all new hires, including the input of elections into UltiPro, Flores, the Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) system, and the creation of an employee’s profile on John Hancock, our 401K company website;
- Administers all FMLA, STD, and LTD processes;
- Schedules and provides guidance for new hire interfacing with HRIS to set up benefits
- Performs monthly reconciliations of benefit statements;
- Performs periodic audits and updates of all benefit information, systems and records; including UltiPro and the APA’s Intranet.
- Maintains and updates benefit records and files, ensures federal, state and organization compliance requirements are consistently met;
- Assists Management with implementing enhancements to the benefit program;
- Responsible for the Open Enrollment season processing and procedures to include, but not limited to launching the HRIS module, vendor marketing, staff/management presentations, enrollment materials, enrollment processing and other implementations;
- Assists with research projects as they pertain to benefit issues;
- Administers the Tuition Assistance Program;
- Coordinates employee education workshops/seminars provided by benefits vendors such as Cigna, John Hancock, Metlife, etc.
- Determines employee benefit interests by conducting employee surveys; forming focus groups; analyzing responses.
- Recommends employee benefit programs by examining, evaluating, and optimizing employee understanding, acceptance, and interests, costs, regulatory requirements, and competitive advantage.
- Evaluates proposed employee benefit contracts by studying provisions;
- Acts as primary point of contact for benefit providers and liaisons between employees and benefit providers.
- Coordinates benefit related matters with human resources department.
Key Supporting Tasks:
- Responsible for entering, updating and maintaining employee withholding information in HRIS/payroll system.
- Enters all personnel changes in UltiPro and reconciles them to assist with the bi-weekly payroll process;
- Works collaboratively with Payroll clerk to ensure a seamless and accurate payroll process
Key Supporting Tasks:
- Assist Finance with the filing of the APA’s 5500’s, Summary Annual Report, and facilitates compliance testing of benefit plans; ensures that benefits are in compliance with applicable regulations;
- Responsible for generating all Audit Responses pertaining to benefit plans;
- Responsible for all ACA required fFilings.
Performs other duties as assigned.