POSITION SUMMARY: The Controller collaborates closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in administering the financial affairs and accounting operations of DCRB. This position manages the day-to-day accounting operations, supervises a small accounting staff, and reports directly to the CFO.
As part of the core responsibilities, the Controller will:
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, petty cash, expense reports, and cash control, as well as ensure compliance with payroll processing.
- Ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components;
- Ensure DCRB is in full compliance with GAAP, GASB, and DCRB’s accounting practices and procedures in the day-to-day operations and in the preparation of the audited financial statements;
- Monitor and maintain the integrity of the internal control environment, which includes correcting deficiencies and implementing suggested improvements;
- Manage the annual audit process and the relationship with external auditors; assist with internal audits of DCRB departments and report results to the CFO and Executive Director;
- Manage the process to disburse lump-sum refund distribution payments to DCRB Members, which includes properly tracking, recording and booking the transactions;
- Manage the process to properly record and book cash distributions, wire transfers, and investment manager fee payments;
- Respond to the CFO with accurate and timely work to facilitate the agency’s financial needs and enhance fiscal integrity; and
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports, as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of accounting systems and workflow processing systems used in financial and/or accounting applications (DCRB currently uses Dynamics GP for the general ledger, Management Reporter as one of the reporting tools, and Paramount Workplace for the workflow processing system for requisitions and purchase orders);
- Thorough knowledge of, and the ability to apply, generally accepted accounting principles and GASB pension standards.
- The ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports in accordance with DCRB standards and best practices;
- The ability to make decisions and operate independently with respect to complex issues and business requirements that have a high degree of exposure;
- Operational leadership and management skills, and good judgment;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively in a team environment, and across a wide range of constituencies;
- Competence in managing multiple projects simultaneously with a strong results/goal orientation;
- Proven skills in organizing resources, managing projects, and establishing priorities;
- The ability to resolve problems in a timely manner;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak and write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles;
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to apply rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions;
- Strong organizing skills, with the ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently, and develop realistic action plans.