A Shared Vision
Service Year Alliance believes that a service year should be a common expectation and opportunity for every young American, and works everyday to realize that vision. The force of service years at scale can repair broken cities, uplift and educate children at risk, and empower communities struggling with poverty. It could unite the most diverse nation in history, binding people of different backgrounds through common cause. It can inspire young Americans to serve for a year, and in the process, forge them into the leaders for life our nation needs.
A service year becomes a common expectation and common opportunity, and within a generation, every year, one million young Americans engage in a service year, solving important problems while transforming their own lives.
Why Now: Broken Citizenship and Pressing Challenges
Today, the need for a common experience of citizenship in our country is more poignant than ever. We are drifting apart. Contrary to the illusion of constant connectivity, Americans are isolated from one another—geographically, ethnically, economically, religiously, and culturally. Traditional forms of civic participation have atrophied. Many Americans’ sole contribution to the country is through paying taxes—not nearly enough to bind people to their communities. Only one in three eligible voters turned out in the last election. Less than one percent of Americans serve in the military. There’s a chance—right now—to inspire a renewed sense of citizenship capable of solving our biggest challenges and creating the leaders our nation needs.
Neither the idea of national service nor our vision are new, but this moment in time tells us they are both deeply needed and never before more achievable.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial Managing Director of Development to continue developing the fundraising strategy and lead day-to-day fundraising execution.
Specifically, the Managing Director will be responsible for executing a strategy that allows us to fund the ongoing work across a range of needs including: the state-of-the art technology platform, advocacy/policy, marketing and recruitment, place-based and issue-area growth, and more.
As a Managing Director, you will be one of the organization’s key leaders: reporting to the Executive Director, serving as a member of SYA’s leadership team, and providing critical guidance and support to organizational leadership, our board of directors, our biggest investors, and other key partners.
We are attempting to raise $40-$50 million between 2016-2019 in order to execute our four-year business plan. This is more money for this type of work than has ever been raised previously. If that scares you more than excites you, this isn’t for you. If it excites you more than it scares you, this will be an amazing experience and a highlight of your career. Most importantly, you will play a key role in impacting millions and millions of lives, and redefining what it means to grow up in America.
- Own SYA’s development plans, from big picture strategy to the details -- executing, refining, expanding, and doing whatever needs to get done in order to meet our very ambitious goals
- Support major individual gifts, foundation grants, and corporate partners
- Identify new individual major donors, foundation prospects and corporate partners
- Develop a sophisticated cultivation and stewardship plan that deploys the right mix of strategies, tactics, and people
- Plan and attend meetings with current and potential supporters, and accompany leadership at high-level fundraising meetings
- Write fundraising letters, appeals, grant proposals, and progress reports
- Staff and support meetings with prospects, preparing materials and handling subsequent action items and follow-up
- Continue improving the systems and processes necessary to support our partners and board members who are actively helping to secure resources
- Ensure all development activity is tracked and used to improve development operations