The Chief Operating Officer/Vice President of Administration and Finance oversees the financial management of the Foundation. S/he oversees the preparation and compilation of the financial statements, state and federal tax filings and other corporation documents; compilation of the annual budget; organization and management of restricted funds and investments under the policy established by the Board of Trustees; and oversight of the annual financial audit. S/he also provides staff support for the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
The COO/VP of Administration and Finance is also responsible for Human Resources and IT functions of the Foundation, at both its Taliesin West (Scottsdale, AZ) and Taliesin (Spring Green, WI) campuses. S/he provides leadership and management to ensure that the organization has the operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures and systems in place to effectively grow and enhance the Foundation and realize its vision.
The COO/VP also oversees day-to-day Tour operations at Taliesin West in Scottsdale, AZ, and has site management responsibility when the CEO is away.
The COO/VP will report to the CEO and work closely with department managers, the School of Architecture at Taliesin, and with a sister organization, Taliesin Preservation, Inc. (TPI), to ensure strong communication and collaboration.
- Manages and monitors revenue and expenses and ensures funds are spent within budget.
- Advises the CEO/President and Department Managers on decisions with significant financial impact.
- Works closely with the CEO/President and Director of Finance on development of the annual budget prior to submission for Board approval.
- Reviews Foundation cash and investment activity, including financial statements, cash flow, lines of credit and established controls to safeguard funds and assets.
- Works with the Director of Finance to provide projections on income, expenses and cash flow.
- In coordination with the Director of Finance, ensures that the Foundation operates in accordance with all applicable state and federal laws, and prepares and files state and federal tax reports.
- Establishes and monitors compliance with purchasing policies and procedures.
- Ensures that all Foundation operations comply with federal, state, local, and/or internal policies and regulations. Fosters a success-oriented, accountable team environment within the Foundation.
- Oversees the functions of the Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Business Services and Tour Departments.
- Works closely with the CEO, Board, and Foundation committees and staff, and as needed the School of Architecture and TPI, to develop and execute strategic and operational plans.
- Oversees the Foundation’s information systems and oversees the purchase, administration, maintenance and standards of use of all communication and information systems.
- Attends Board of Trustees meetings and committee meetings as needed.
- Oversees Human Resources to manage risk for the Foundation.
- Ensures appropriate amounts of insurance is purchased for all lines of business.
- Acts as the Fiduciary of the 401K Plan, monitors investments, and prepares compliance reports as needed.
- Works with the HR Director to evaluate benefit packages and employee costs.
- Supervises and supports the Tour Department.
- Provides day-to-day leadership and management of Taliesin West and Taliesin.
- Other duties as assigned.