The Nuclear Energy Institute is looking for a Director/Senior Director, External Communications to develop communications strategy and tactics for industry policy, regulatory and business/operational issues. He/she will be responsible for developing and maintaining top-tier media relationships and for developing strategies for positioning significant industry policy issues in traditional and social media for the industry at large and for NEI as an organization. The Director will manage the implementation of these strategies to include members of the NEI leadership on the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, member company executives, NEI executives and independent experts to achieve the industry’s policy objectives. The incumbent will personally develop relationships with publishers, editors, producers and reporters at national and key regional media outlets that lead to access to those media venues when needed for policy or crisis communication. Manage his/her staff to develop accurate, persuasive and credible information on the value of nuclear energy for meeting future electricity and environmental needs. Also responsible for managing internal communications for NEI by developing and overseeing the execution of these programs.
- Communications Strategy and Management:
- Develop and implement media relations plans and strategies for designated NEI issues and programs, according to NEI’s business plan. This should include the coordination of contractor, departmental and member company resources as well as congressional, executive agency and third-party supporters.
- Provide strategy and support for NEI’s internal communications program.
- Direct NEI’s editorial and Web-based programs so that they define the organization’s corporate identity, support the industry’s essential activities and enhance member value.
- Ensure all editorial products are consistent with NEI strategy and advance objectives for certain mission critical functions, foundation issues and significant regulatory and operational issues.
- Ensure that products reflect key messages and that salient trends and developments relevant to NEI and industry receive prompt coverage.
- Digital Strategy:
- Develop digital strategies using all tools (e.g. website, emails, social media and blogs).
- Utilize web technologies to achieve organizational goals and increase brand awareness.
- Analyze web traffic metrics and suggest solutions to boost web presence.
- Participate in the development and implementation of new campaigns.
- Optimize digital experiences for members and employees and ensure brand consistency. Establish best practices in digital marketing. Remain current with digital technology developments.
- Media Relations:
- Serve as a principal NEI spokesperson to the media, representing the views of NEI, the nuclear energy industry and the association's member companies.
- Manage development of relationships between industry senior management and NEI staff and reporters, editors and producers.
- Identify opportunities for media events, such as news conferences, media tours, interviews and other outreach opportunities.
- Coordinate the development of information and potential editorial content ideas beneficial to industry policies to help news organizations cover nuclear energy and industry activities accurately and represent NEI's positions fairly.
- Monitor and analyze press coverage and industry literature for materials useful to the media, NEI, and industry organizations, including NEI members.
- Maintain and update NEI’s media relations materials, including database of journalists, producers and editors.
- Develop relationships with press secretaries at congressional leadership and committees with jurisdiction over nuclear energy issues as well as at federal agencies with which the industry coordinates (DOE, NRC, DHS, EPA.)
- Ensure that NEI spokespeople on core issues receive media training at least biennially and support 24/7 staffing for media interaction during activation of NEI's emergency response plan.
- Conceptualize, develop and execute NEI's media presence across multiple social media platforms.
- Manage NEI's broadcast studio; develop and produce broadcast-quality content to enhance coverage of nuclear energy issues.
- Industry Activities:
- Coordinate with member companies on their media and public relations activities and provide support and information on key industry issues or plant-specific issues where NEI can provide value to members.
- Support industry organizations in achieving their goals by providing media relations strategy and on-the-ground assistance.
- Represent NEI at hearings, briefings and meetings to advance the positions of the nuclear energy industry and to challenge incorrect information disseminated by Non-Governmental Organizations and critics of nuclear energy.
- Organizational Management:
- Manage designated professional and administrative staff in carrying out NEI’s communications strategy.
- Ensure integration with other NEI divisions so that there is a seamless approach to media relations serving NEI objectives.
- Manage assigned contractor activities for optimal usefulness and cost-effectiveness, including third-party opinion and letter writing programs and the availability of independent experts for use by NEI and the industry.
- Maintain knowledge level of independent experts on NEI policy priorities.
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years’ of experience in developing and executing communication strategies on policy, regulatory and business issues.
- Must have extensive media relations management experience, including writing, interviewing and promotional duties.
- Management experience with executives, professional staff and administrative support preferred.
- Must display excellent negotiation and persuasion skills and be proficient in public speaking and facilitation skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in public communications, journalism, or public relations preferred. Training or professional courses in governmental processes and media skills desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have in-depth knowledge of communications strategic development.
- Experience in media and public relations strategies and practices preferred.
- Must have thorough knowledge of nuclear energy and energy industry issues, news reporting and editorial functions and key media personnel, as well as working knowledge of social media platforms and broadcast media technologies.
- Strong working knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes.
- Strategic thinker and champion of major industry issues.
- Ability to quickly and critically analyze, condense and simplify large volumes of
complex information for use with various thought-leader audiences.
- Ability to plan and manage complex projects, work independently and prioritize and
carry out multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills to develop accurate, credible and persuasive representation of NEI positions.
- Consistent skill in producing effective written materials in a variety of styles under
Must excel at proofreading and editing.
- Ability to quickly research or obtain information from organizational, industry, media
and government sources.
- Ability to manage professional and administrative staff for effectiveness in a
NEI offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including savings and pension plans. To apply for this position please send a cover letter (including salary requirements), resume and NEI employment application to firstname.lastname@example.org.