Become a part of an innovative, dynamic organization dedicated to the promotion and professional development and advancement of African Americans into and within the senior ranks of the United States Government.
The African American Federal Executive Association, Inc. (AAFEA) is looking for a dynamic and resourceful Executive Director (ED) to provide strategic direction in the exercise of policy development, planning, resource management, and program evaluation responsibilities. The Executive Director will report to and work in partnership with the AAFEA Board of Directors to implement AAFEA’s five strategic priorities and goals. See AAFEA Strategic Planning Framework Document. The incumbent will provide advice and counsel to the AAFEA Board of Directors on complex, strategic and executive level matters.
The mission of AAFEA is:
- To promote the professional development and advancement of African Americans into and within the executive ranks of the United States Government;
- To sponsor and advocate programs, policies, practices and processes that promote career enhancing opportunities and the development of critical skills for African Americans; and
- To establish partnerships and alliances with other senior level associations, public and private sector organizations and academia to leverage resources to develop intellectual capital to effectively execute the business of the federal government.
This position will be filled on an annual contractual basis.
The successful candidate must have a passion for and commitment to AAFEA’s mission and must be able to successfully maintain and advance the state and national credibility of AAFEA. The Executive Director will be directly responsible for the implementation of AAFEA’s five strategic priorities and goals:
- Strategic Priority 1: Deliver High-Quality Continuing Professional and Leadership Development Programs for SES at All Levels of Seniority;
- Strategic Priority 2: Deliver High-Quality Professional and Leadership Development Programs for GS-13 to GS-15 (or equivalent) Aspiring to Senior Levels of Government;
- Strategic Priority 3: Enhance Member Service and Engagement;
- Strategic Priority 4: Enhance Administrative Operations; and
- Strategic Priority 5: Promote AAFEA Brand and Recognition as a Resource and Association of National Thought Leaders.
The Executive Director will serve as AAFEA’s chief staff executive responsible for collaboratively working with the AAFEA President, Officers and Committee Chairs, with direct administrative responsibility for the management, implementation and oversight of the organization to include:
- Assisting AAFEA’s President and Board of Directors in the development and implementation of AAFEA’s Strategic Plan and Annual Business Plan.
- Assisting AAFEA’s President and Board of Directors in the creation and implementation of policies, procedures, and updates to the Policy Manual regarding financial matters, awards, annual training, scholarships, etc., as needed but no less than annually.
- Serving as the liaison with other organizations and advocate programs, to advance policies, practices and processes that promote career enhancing opportunities into and within senior levels of government service and the development of critical skills for African Americans.
- Developing partnership and alliances with other senior level associations, public and private sector organizations and academia to leverage resources to develop intellectual capital to effectively execute the business of AAFEA.
- Leading efforts to increase overall stakeholder engagement, including developing programs and events as identified within AAFEA’s strategic plan.
- Supporting AAFEA’s Board of Directors as a non-voting member by working collaboratively and transparently with AAFEA’s President, Officers, and Committee Chairs and by routinely providing staff reports and other information. Related tasks include providing staff support for all Board and Committee meetings, scheduling meetings, developing recommended meeting agenda and meeting materials, and developing resource materials. This list of related tasks is intended as an overview and may not be all inclusive.
- Working with the AAFEA Board of Directors, or at the Board’s direction, with other designated individuals or organizations, to solicit grant opportunities and facilitate links with research or other entities and agencies to promote strategic and program goals.
- Participating in a “360 review”, or similar process, to ensure AAFEA’s Board of Directors receives valuable feedback that will strengthen the relationship and service provided through external contracts.
- Taking ownership of leading all fundraising strategies and responsibilities for the organization.
- Other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward an electronic application package that clearly describes current and past work history, as well as your qualifications for the position. To apply for this position, you must send to firstname.lastname@example.org one document that comprises your application package, which consists of:
- A one-page cover letter;
- A resume that does not exceed three (3) pages;
- A list of three references with contact information.
Font size must be no smaller than 1 points with one-inch (1”) margins on all sides. The subject line of your email must state “Application of [insert your full name] for AAFEA Executive Director Position”. AAFEA will keep all submitted material confidential.
Your application must be submitted online and your complete application must be received no later than May 26, 2017 at 11:59 pm EST to be considered.
Applications must have a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the point of contact listed on this vacancy announcement.
Important Note: Please do not include your social security number or date of birth on your application documents. Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the announcement will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
Questions, please contact email@example.com.