Westminster Christian School Job Description
Director of Advancement
Schedule: 12 Month; Monday-Friday
Reports To: Superintendent
FLSA Status: Exempt
General Description: The primary function of the WCS Advancement Office is to promote the mission, vision and guiding principles of the school by ensuring an excellent future of the institution. The Director will oversee all functions which serve to advance the school, including financial development and strategic planning and management. The Director also serves as the Administrative liaison to the Advancement Committee of the Board of Directors.
Qualifications: The Director of Advancement must:
- Be a born-again believer with a demonstrated commitment to Christian education.
- Be in agreement with the Westminster Christian School Statement of Faith and general staff qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or nonprofit leadership preferred.
- Five years fundraising experience or equivalent experience.
- Excel at community relations, prospecting, business development and negotiation skills.
- Ability to interact not only at the executive level but also with all levels of constituents.
- Outstanding work ethic. Self-directed, motivated, and a life-long learner.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize.
- Strong organizational skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination and oversight of all efforts designed to attract maximum gift support to Westminster Christian School.
- Appropriately representing the Christian school by educating giving constituencies regarding Biblical principles of stewardship.
- Planning for and execution of all capital campaigns to support specific school projects.
- To develop a complete program of research into and an action plan of solicitation of the school’s key prospects.
- Coordination and oversight of the school’s Annual Fund campaign.
- Develop and implement a plan to increase alumni contacts, involvement and giving.
- Be informed of and provide consultation for any fund raising efforts initiated by school entities.
- Development and maintenance of solicitation policies and procedures by and for any school entity.
- Promotion of Planned Giving vehicles to appropriate candidates.
- Pursuit of all appropriate grant funding avenues.
- Development and implementation of plans to establish a school endowment fund.
- Recruitment, inspiration and training of Board members and other volunteers to assist in all appropriate development efforts.
- Effective communication of all needs and giving progress through all appropriate means.
- Lead in all donor appreciation/recognition efforts.
- Develop and maintain relationships with school families, as appropriate, to encourage giving to WCS.
- Provide supervisory oversight of the Advancement Office staff.
- To oversee the processing of all gift income for the purpose of providing receipts and the maintain of giving records of donors to the school and the preparation of reports and constituent queries.
- Oversee the input and management of the development database for accuracy and meticulousness.
- To perform other duties as assigned by the head of school.
Strategic Planning and Management
- Work with Administrative team to develop and continually review the schools’ comprehensive Master Plan.
- Serve as member of leadership team to determine specific usage of school facilities.
- Work with Administration and staff to explore potential new school service areas.
- Development and execution of private funding plan for long- and short-term plans and goals.
Marketing and Community Relations
- Lead in the on-going employee relations training for faculty and staff as it relates to Development.
- Actively communicate the necessity of a team approach to the advancement function at WCS.
- Oversee efforts to develop and maintain an organized Alumni association, to encourage their involvement in multiple school functions and activities, and to encourage giving.
- Appropriately use other major school functions, such as Back to School Picnic and New Student Orientation, Warrior Week, Homecoming Week, Academic, Fine Arts and Athletic events to effectively promote the virtues of the Christian school experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of a broad range of development activities.
- Knowledge of development software preferred. We use:
- Raisers Edge
- Online express
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbal and written.
- Ability to work well with others in the school community.
- Critical and Strategic thinking.
- Customer/client focus.
- Leadership ability.
- Relentless ability to follow up strategically
- Task oriented “do-er”