It is an exciting time to join Carnegie Mellon, a highly regarded global research university, ranked among the top 25 universities in the U.S. In the three years since the completion of its last campaign, which raised $1.2 billion, CMU has raised $500 million in private philanthropic support, which has further fueled the University’s ambitions in this area. This position is key to the plans CMU is making for its future.
The Associate Director, Parent Engagement and Development is responsible for identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of parent prospects with a rated capacity of $50,000 and greater. Manages a portfolio of approximately 100-125 prospects. This person will be expected to travel 10-12 times per year outside of the Pittsburgh region.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Set annual goals based on divisional and team expectations. Track and report progress on implementation plan; may make changes to the plan based on analysis in cooperation with supervisor. Prepare fundraising reports and communications for donors, volunteers and management.
- Qualify, cultivate and solicit prospects via personal visits, direct mail, phone or volunteer utilization when needed.
- Trip planning and personal outreach to assigned prospects. To attain 125 or more visits annually, to reach annual commitment goals and create a pipeline of prospects for future solicitation. Travel 10-12 times per year outside of the Pittsburgh region required.
- Communicate with other university stakeholders, particularly when there may be multiple contacts with the prospect/donor.
- Manage and develop assigned portfolio of major gift prospects. Determine ongoing relationship activities with prospect; recommend specific purpose and level of gift; identify those to be involved in cultivation and subsequent solicitations; bring solicitations to closure.
- Support Annual Giving and other development efforts and projects.
- Track prospect outreach and relationship building through each stage in ADVANCE database. Produce individual contact reports summarizing every prospect visit. Track progress of proposals of $10K or greater. Follow up in writing to acknowledge prospects after visits and gifts. Execute plans for moves management with prospects. Report progress on goals including number of visits, solicitations, commitments, upgrades and qualifications.
- Develop skills and participate in training.
- Keep current on programs and faculty, research and student initiatives at the university.
- Collaborate with faculty, deans and other advancement colleagues when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.