Date: April 20, 2017
Position Title: Coordinator, Education (Professional Development)
Position 2 - Safe Use of Opioids Courses
Reports To: Associate Director, Professional Development
ASAM is a medical professional society of over 4,300 members with a total staff of 30 and a $6.1M annual operating budget. It is an energetic, fast-paced organization with multi-faceted opportunities in addiction medicine.
This position will report to the Associate Director, Professional Development to ensure successful creation, implementation and operation of ASAM educational courses and products. The Coordinator will manage a variety of projects and programs and work closely the ASAM education team and with course planning committees and faculty. Candidate must demonstrate an interest in working on medical education for physicians and clinicians and quickly develop a broad understanding of the ASAM education programs and set priorities in work assignments.
- Provide overall coordination and implementation for delivery of high quality safe use of opioids national medical education program for physicians and clinicians
- Assist Associate Director and physician course leaders with keeping content current, faculty recruitment and training, obtaining training sites across the country to deliver courses
- Assist Associate Director to monitor, coordinate, plan meetings and maintain course records and monitor budget(s)
- Prepare, gather support documentation and submit required Continuing Medical Education (CME) activity report for all courses that offer continuing medical education certificates.
- Coordinate materials and information to be posted to the online education system for education courses and post information about the course on the website.
- Compile and distill evaluation reports for each program managed and provide results to program planning committee.
- Handles special projects as assigned such as developing course apps, summarizing evaluations, follow-up with faculty, prepare tracking reports for the project grant, etc.
- Drafts correspondence and helps update website as needed.
- Provides phone support to members for Education and other ASAM activities. Interacts with members and customers regarding courses, programs and products.
- Assists with the adherence to ACCME and CME guidelines.
- Assists with the accurate management of records (hard copy and electronic files) for education activities.
- Assists with other programs and projects as necessary as determine by the Chief Learning Officer to work with other department staff as needed on other education programs.
- Small amount of travel (2 - 4 trips a year) if needed to education courses to provide on-site assistance and management required for successful operation of courses.
- Open to new ideas and other duties as they arise and are assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Two years of experience administrative experience in an office environment
- Association experience, particularly in a medical society preferred but not required
- Some experience with medical organizations or educations preferred but not required
- Bachelor Degree or some college preferred
Skills and Abilities:
- High technical proficiency with databases and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Experience in creating online education and apps is a plus, experience with conducting webinars is also a plus
- Excellent organizational skills including setting priorities in work assignments, coordinating projects, and following up on assignments with minimal direction
- Ability to efficiently handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment with attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively, efficiently and professionally with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Excellent written, organizational, communication and customer service skills are required
- Resourcefulness, initiative and creativity valued
- Team player with positive attitude, enthusiastic energy and ability to have fun with team members
Works closely with:
- Associate Director, Professional Development primarily, may also work with the Chief Learning Officer and other members of the education team as needed.
- Professional development (education) team members and other staff and members as needed
- CME consultant(s) for adherence to ACCME (medical education) guidelines and instructional design guidance
- ASAM members, chapters and other medical organizations to deliver courses across the county
- Addiction medicine related agencies in development of courses and/or for staying on cutting edge of addiction medicine issues and education needs
Recruiting salary range: $37,000 to $40,000 (with a robust benefits package)
Please submit a resume and personalized cover letter* explaining your interest in the position and how your skills match the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Resumes will not be reviewed without a personalized cover letter.
Note: This position is funded with a grant for one or more years with possible funding for additional years.
ASAM provides equal opportunity to all staff. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, physical handicaps, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or any other category that is protected by federal law or the laws of the Maryland.
ASAM is proud to be honored with the Sloan Award for Excellence in Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility for its use of flexibility and other aspects of workplace effectiveness as a workplace strategy to increase business and employee success. ASAM was one of eight organizations and the only association to be recognized in the state of Maryland.
ASAM Staff Values: As an organization, our work has national and generational impact. We are an energetic, scrappy, and resilient team who are passionately dedicated to providing hope and redemption in the addiction field. Our safe, positive and professional work environment allows us to celebrate both our successes and shortcomings. We help and support each other as a family of compassionate individuals. We work with pride and an insatiable hunger to change the addiction field and to leave our mark.